imperfect hole in glass for bulkhead.. how to prevent leak?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you scrape across the glass it will remove excess sealant from undamaged glass, remaining only in low spots

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx for that.. I was goign to run out and get the JB weld. I already have a tube of aqueon silione cement coming today from amazon. I'm going to hd for a bunch of orings, making sure one fits right, return the rest :-D
The oring idea is perfect

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed that one side of the gasgets has small raised holes.. raised maybe 1/2 mm at most. 6 of them evenly spaced . I dont understand why they are there , and the other side is totally flat. Obviously I need to put the flat side against the surface. But I woudlnt have even noticed til i looked close at the gaskets. they are from synergy

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think combo with filling in those defects which i just did, wiating 24 hrs to dry, putting the flat side against the surface and taking the film the back of the tank around the bulkhead that i'll have zero leaks, well see!
ty to all the comments
PS fillinng in the defects took about 3 minutes, really easy not even messy

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of "repair"...
coming tomorrow.. I noticed two of the defects still have a slight depression so i fille dthose in. I see you should not apply much pressure to the streaight edge (credit card) when smoothing out the silicone.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any reason I cant use this oring? the Outter Diameter of the pipe going through the hole is 2 3/18 ".. the inner diameter on the o-ring is the same. and the outter diameter is smaller than the diameter of the hole which is 2 1/2 " . It's red though, it should still be reef safe? it will ideally hardly ever touch water

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not... remember, the sealant is not meant to seal against cured sealant. If not happy with it, remove it all and try again

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was nervous about reapplying to semi set sealant
I don't see why not... remember, the sealant is not meant to seal against cured sealant. If not happy with it, remove it all and try again
but it looks and feels fine at this point . I got the orings. they fit perfect. Thanks for that!. especially since I wont have pipe clip supports. The orings give that buffer from bumping. I'm going to put it all together soon once I hit 24 hrs. The one on left looks a little textured b/c I touched it a little too much, but it's pretty smooth.

Attachments

• oring3.jpg
    oring3.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exact fing leak again. It seems leak free unless imlwt the level in outter box fill about 1/3+ way up

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It leaks less the more I tighten it. I can still tighten more. The plastic nut doesn't seem to let you over tighten because there's really nothing to grip on it. Perhaps I need to just tighten as much as I can.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It leaks less the more I tighten it. I can still tighten more. The plastic nut doesn't seem to let you over tighten because there's really nothing to grip on it. Perhaps I need to just tighten as much as I can.
The leak may be coming from the outter box side. Ill retrst. But from what i could tell the leak happens when the water level in the outter box is raised. Assuning no disruptions on the insdie seal due to raise in level on outter box and no gaps on inside due to the higher weight as outter fills up theb the leak is on the outter box. Ill also make sure the overflow is resting on the new orings so its not pulled down as water fills the outter box.
edit: If that's the case then i'll put a gasket on the inside of the outter box as well. I have 4 extras

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak , if there is just one per side is coming from the outside box . I attached the overflow with the tank empty. then i poured water in the outside box, totally blocking the drain holes with pipe. The leak happened same as before. It has to be coming from the box, not from tank, unless there's a leak from tank as well. This leak may have happend b/c I took off the black film .. still trying to figure this out now I think I know where the leak is actually coming from (?).

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought possibly supporting the overflow box would stop the leak. I simulated that holding it in place and still the leak. I was reading I need better gaskets than what come with the Shadow.. though they are impossible to find :-/

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back