Improved biodiversity - How to?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers :)

My FOWLR tank (.. corals to come in a year or so!) is still fairly new and as such, it lacks the maturity and biodiversity of more established tanks. I have plenty of patience, but at the same time like everyone else I want to give my tank- and all my fish and livestock the best conditions possible.

Here's what I am thinking in order to push things along the right path:

1. I have access to 20 year+ matured rock from a healthy and established tank; I will grab some of that and stick it in my sump

2. I will be dosing Aquaforest Life Source mud once every week - I have only seen good reviews and experiences with this product here on R2R with only minor complaints about short term issues with water clearity

3. A substantial amount of live copepods and rotifers will be added to my refugium as well as phytoplankton for feeeding. Pods and rotifers will be added as a weekly subscription as well.

4. Wait! Add patience to the mix..

Any other suggestions apart from above- and comments and advice?

Cheers! :)

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Reefers :)

My FOWLR tank (.. corals to come in a year or so!) is still fairly new and as such, it lacks the maturity and biodiversity of more established tanks. I have plenty of patience, but at the same time like everyone else I want to give my tank- and all my fish and livestock the best conditions possible.

Here's what I am thinking in order to push things along the right path:

1. I have access to 20 year+ matured rock from a healthy and established tank; I will grab some of that and stick it in my sump

2. I will be dosing Aquaforest Life Source mud once every week - I have only seen good reviews and experiences with this product here on R2R with only minor complaints about short term issues with water clearity

3. A substantial amount of live copepods and rotifers will be added to my refugium as well as phytoplankton for feeeding. Pods and rotifers will be added as a weekly subscription as well.

4. Wait! Add patience to the mix..

Any other suggestions apart from above- and comments and advice?

Cheers! :)
I think any of them will add biodiversity. I'm not sure any of them are extremely beneficial over #4.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most beneficial would be live rock. But you appear to have that covered. Patience is key.

Alot of the down the road biodiversity we add to our tanks comes in on corals and nems we add down the road as well.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of them will add biodiversity. I'm not sure any of them are extremely beneficial over #4.
Thank you :) Aye #4 will definetly do the trick all on its own!

I am not looking for 'just' extremely benificial though, but any tweaks, tips and tricks that will move me in the right direction ;) To which degree something is benificial is a hard one; I do not know the scale for sure!

Appreciate your input though, Cheers!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most beneficial would be live rock. But you appear to have that covered. Patience is key.

Alot of the down the road biodiversity we add to our tanks comes in on corals and nems we add down the road as well.
Thanks! :) The rocks will go in next week, just waiting for my pal to return from holiday..

Patience will be added in small doses whenever i find some! ;)

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 and 4 are the ones I'd most value as long as that rock doesn't have aiptasia
Aye the risk always exists doesn't it? I have not visually been able to spot any in his tank; it is well kept but you never know! :)

I will keep it in mind for sure!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you :) Aye #4 will definetly do the trick all on its own!

I am not looking for 'just' extremely benificial though, but any tweaks, tips and tricks that will move me in the right direction ;) To which degree something is benificial is a hard one; I do not know the scale for sure!

Appreciate your input though, Cheers!
The problem is - there is no good data (of which I'm aware) that says biodiversity alone is all that beneficial (i.e. pristine water quality, providing a stress free environment, good filtrations etc) are probably far more important than 'biodiversity' especially in a FOWLR. Short-term - any of the things you list will 'increase the number of species of 'stuff' in your tank', in fact, overtime - what tends to happen according to the science I've read - what is going to live in your tank will live and do fine - the rest will not. Adding more of 'the rest' may not be helpful. Note - I'm not criticizing biodiversity - don't want to debate it, but thats my opinion. So I picked #4 - just wait - and see how things shake out.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is - there is no good data (of which I'm aware) that says biodiversity alone is all that beneficial (i.e. pristine water quality, providing a stress free environment, good filtrations etc) are probably far more important than 'biodiversity' especially in a FOWLR. Short-term - any of the things you list will 'increase the number of species of 'stuff' in your tank', in fact, overtime - what tends to happen according to the science I've read - what is going to live in your tank will live and do fine - the rest will not. Adding more of 'the rest' may not be helpful. Note - I'm not criticizing biodiversity - don't want to debate it, but thats my opinion. So I picked #4 - just wait - and see how things shake out.
Thank you for that; I appreciate your opinion and input, I will definetly look a bit around before messing too much about with what i have going on! :)

Might have a look at R2R Research as well!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back