In a bit of a Blenny Ordeal…

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Blenny for my tank. I’m debating between several of them though. Here is some information:
I want to have these fish in my Biocube 32. I already have the royal gramma.
Ocellaris clownfish
Black ocellaris Clownfish
Royal gramma
Watchman Goby
Blood red fire shrimp
Azure Damsel
Some kind of Blenny

I want a Blenny that will eat a lot of algae, not starve if algae isn’t present for some periods of time, will be compatible with the other inhabitants I want to get (they are but peoples experiences with each of them help), won’t hide all day, relatively peaceful, etc

These are the blennies I want to get and my opinion of each:

Midas Blenny
Beautiful colors, swims like an eel basically, good that it’s omnivorous for it won’t starve without algae, but cost is kinda high but that doesn’t bother me too much.

Tailspot Blenny
Eats a lot of algae, nice colors, cheap, heard it hides a lot in some instances

Lawnmower Blenny
Same as tailspot but haven’t heard too many instances of it hiding a lot

if anyone can give their personal experiences, comments, or opinions on what would be best for my tank, please comment below.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any blenny is gonna grab about the same amount of algae- don’t plan on them for algae control but they will supplement their diet with it. I’ve had the lawnmower & tailspot (and a starry blenny)- Biggest difference is how they hang out- the tailspot tucked into a home and popped out whereas the starry & lawnmower cruised around and propped up on rocks (similar to a hawk fish)- they all picked at algae but the difference they made was negligible.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LMB is out cruising all of the time, quite the character. But, he does not do a great job of “mowing lawns”, he prefers frozen food.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor blenny, he eats algae but has an attitude (killed all 3 of my barnacle blennies). My sister has a lawnmower blenny and it does a great job keeping her tank clean. I love midas blennies they are my favorite but I have bad luck keeping them. First one went carpet surfing, second one got sick, so make sure you have a tight lid. They also aren't the best algae cleaners in my experience but I love they way they swim.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LMB is out cruising all of the time, quite the character. But, he does not do a great job of “mowing lawns”, he prefers frozen food.
Yeah I have heard some are omnivorous.
I have a bicolor blenny, he eats algae but has an attitude (killed all 3 of my barnacle blennies). My sister has a lawnmower blenny and it does a great job keeping her tank clean. I love midas blennies they are my favorite but I have bad luck keeping them. First one went carpet surfing, second one got sick, so make sure you have a tight lid. They also aren't the best algae cleaners in my experience but I love they way they swim.
I have the Biocube lid on my tank which there would be no way for any fish to open besides me. I don’t have a ton of algae and blennies to me are just that fish that kills two birds with one stone with eating algae and being a good looking addition. It would be nice to have both aspects but I may have to sacrifice the algae aspect of the Midas because it just looks so cool

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any blenny is gonna grab about the same amount of algae- don’t plan on them for algae control but they will supplement their diet with it. I’ve had the lawnmower & tailspot (and a starry blenny)- Biggest difference is how they hang out- the tailspot tucked into a home and popped out whereas the starry & lawnmower cruised around and propped up on rocks (similar to a hawk fish)- they all picked at algae but the difference they made was negligible.

I agree with you about their behavior. I've had the same three types you have. The lawnmower and starry are more active and out in the open. I disagree about the algae control part though, my current lawnmower picks at algae all day. He won't rid the whole tank by himself but he certainly helps a good bit.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back