In depth explanation of nitrogen and amino acids?

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, just keep on dosing. I assume 30ml was not randomly selected. If you increase it beyond "recommended" just go gradually.

VERY IMPORTANT: in my experience of dosing nitrate (NaNO2 in my case) my already low PO4 went zero. Fast. The corals will hate you for it too. Took me a while to match dosing (trisodium phosphate) to keep a steady relationship between the two nutrients. I don't know if it works in reverse (dose PO4 to lower NO3) but at least in two of my systems dosing nitrates lowered PO4 every time.

I'll take cyano and some green algae over dinoflagellates every day of the week.

Disclosure: the whole reason I got into dosing nutrients was a nasty ostreopsis battle.

The 30ml. was my starting point based on my water volume and where my No3 was , reading other threads and looking at the reef calculators i should be adding more to bring my No3 up to detectable levels but i did not want to start high as i have read the same thing that you mentioned about lowering Po4 as well ??

Now my Po4 was already low but again i do not want to do too many things at once so i can try and monitor the changes and adjust accordingly ? my corals do look better as far as color and look like they are still growing , i have not checked my Po4 since i started adding the No3 , my goal is to add more fish gradually and stop dosing No3 .
I started adding No3 as my corals were growing but very slowly and they all looked pale , some looked better than others but within a week of adding 30ml daily my corals look much better , now how do i get the balance to maximize growth and color ? ;)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart move. Starting light is always good.

I strongly encourage you to order some trisodium phosphate quickly to have on hand should your PO4 get too close to zero. You can dose lightly to start but don't let PO4 bottom. When I hit 0-0 nutrient (long, stupid, self inflicted story) the DINOs took over. A most unpleasant lesson to learn. I will never run my frag systems below 10/.08 of NO3 and PO4 again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0FEAQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

My mix recipe is somewhere, but I lifted it from this site as well as reefcentral.

I like your plan to add fish and dial back on dosing. I am gradually doing that myself. Down to 20ml of TSP and 3ml NaNO2 daily via BRS dosers and IoT smart outlets.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart move. Starting light is always good.

I strongly encourage you to order some trisodium phosphate quickly to have on hand should your PO4 get too close to zero. You can dose lightly to start but don't let PO4 bottom. When I hit 0-0 nutrient (long, stupid, self inflicted story) the DINOs took over. A most unpleasant lesson to learn. I will never run my frag systems below 10/.08 of NO3 and PO4 again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0FEAQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

My mix recipe is somewhere, but I lifted it from this site as well as reefcentral.

I like your plan to add fish and dial back on dosing. I am gradually doing that myself. Down to 20ml of TSP and 3ml NaNO2 daily via BRS dosers and IoT smart outlets.

I totally suck at figuring out those calculators ! how do i know how much to dose of that ?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solution: Add 1.88g of the Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of water.

Dose: Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm.

So:
400 gallons is ~1500l
1500 / 100 = 15ml

I am plagiarizing from this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trisodium-phosphate-dosing-math.354337/

And I apologize to the OP for the temporary hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So:
400 gallons is ~1500l
1500 / 100 = 15ml

And I apologize to the OP for the temporary hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

dude your awesome !!! THANK YOU ;) ......... now that's 15ml. daily as a start , after a week and no higher then gradually increase like anything else correct ?? maintain this daily as needed to keep Po4 AND No3 up ... correct ? now i have not increased my dosage of No3 since my initial start , im still getting a clear reading on my Red Sea test kit ... i did not want to increase higher due to the fact that i didnt want to get into the Dyno mode with an unbalanced system ?

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So:
400 gallons is ~1500l
1500 / 100 = 15ml

How much of the Trisodium do i mix with a gallon of R/O water to dose 15ml. ??? 1 Tsp. 4 Tsp. per gallon etc...

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bowhunter I lost this thread while traveling. Hopefully you got this all sorted by now.

Hey Man whats up , yes i think i did ? i was dosing 15 ml daily and that brought my PO4 up to about 0.02 / 0.03 roughly , but i backed off my No3 dosing so i lowered the Po4 amount to 12 , had my Apex brain box lock up on me and it would not allow me to control ANYTHING ..... had to plug things in regular outlets , my solenoid for my Cal. RX had to stay on continually so i had to try and re adjust bubble count / drip rate etc...... until i could get a new controler ( which arent cheap ) so by the time i got a new brain box , got things hooked back up and somewhat regulated i lost a bunch of very nice corals because of the ALK swings ?? i have cyano , dinos and overall my tank looks like **** !! thinking of just completely stopping dosing both NO3 and PO4 and just let whatever happens happen and go from there ???? wondering if i messed it up by starting to dose No3 ?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I'd be in a world of hurt without my APEX. My SPS hate bouncing ALK, and combined with dinos, that sucks. I'd focus an stabilizing the ALK side before embarking against dinos.

Once you are ready, I would head over to the authoritative (and sadly very popular) DINO thread. The first couple pages lay out the process of getting ID on the strain of dino, and the proper treatment. Hopefully just ostreopsis. A monster UV will knock 'em down. And you already have the dosing bits sorted out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back