In-line total chlorine monitor

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am trying to automate as much as possible of my tank/mixing station, I managed to automate the stop of RO/DI production in response to a TDS higher or equal than 0 with my GHL P4 paired with a TDS monitor and a solenoid. Now I know that chlorine/chloramines don't show up on TDS, and there isn't really a good way to automate that unless I get an inline chlorine monitor, I know they are expensive, but livestock is more expensive than that, just wondering if anyone has experience with them before I pull the trigger? Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am trying to automate as much as possible of my tank/mixing station, I managed to automate the stop of RO/DI production in response to a TDS higher or equal than 0 with my GHL P4 paired with a TDS monitor and a solenoid. Now I know that chlorine/chloramines don't show up on TDS, and there isn't really a good way to automate that unless I get an inline chlorine monitor, I know they are expensive, but livestock is more expensive than that, just wondering if anyone has experience with them before I pull the trigger? Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

I've never heard of a reef person using a chlorine monitor.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a reef person using a chlorine monitor.
Overshooting? But I like to play safe, I know I am lazy and too much automation would mean I am not touching that mixing station at all.. and I will forget to change the carbon blocks, and I will wipe out my tank.. therefore, I rather invest 6-700$ than risking it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overshooting? But I like to play safe, I know I am lazy and too much automation would mean I am not touching that mixing station at all.. and I will forget to change the carbon blocks, and I will wipe out my tank.. therefore, I rather invest 6-700$ than risking it.
I will give you an opinion that might seem 'harsh'. Whenever you rely on 'automation' because you are 'lazy' - it will probably work out great - until its a disaster. The solution is not a chlorine monitor (IMHO) - its putting an alarm/alert on your calendar/phone - when its time to change the carbon block. 1. You dont want to wait until there is chlorine measurable (which is probably going to be chloramine) - 2. Everything fails. If your'e seriously thinking about spending 700$ - send it to me and every 3 months I'll remind you by phone - to change your carbon. Do you have. TDS monitor? Laziness (IMHO - again no insult) - probably should not be part of this hobby

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but other than lazyness.. You really never know when they change the chlorination schedule in a city (often is unpredictable due to bacterial blooms at the water treatment facilities), ending up with changing the blocks too early or too late. Once the monitor detects anything above the setpoint, and those things go down to 2-3 decimals usually, it shuts-off your solenoid (I got 2 in series, again with automation you need backups).

Lets say you have a carbon block on the edge, and they decided to go full blast with chloramines at the treatment facility, you may end up being in trouble, I guess many people don't notice, they have stuff bleaching/dying and don't even think of it, until it's too late.

I take this hobby very seriously, and my fish and inverts are pets, I can't let that happen. Changing carbon blocks at set (random) timeframes is not good enough, testing every batch of RODI is unrealistic as the tank has an ATO directly from the mixing station, and again it may be too late.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give you an opinion that might seem 'harsh'. Whenever you rely on 'automation' because you are 'lazy' - it will probably work out great - until its a disaster. The solution is not a chlorine monitor (IMHO) - its putting an alarm/alert on your calendar/phone - when its time to change the carbon block. 1. You dont want to wait until there is chlorine measurable (which is probably going to be chloramine) - 2. Everything fails. If your'e seriously thinking about spending 700$ - send it to me and every 3 months I'll remind you by phone - to change your carbon. Do you have. TDS monitor? Laziness (IMHO - again no insult) - probably should not be part of this hobby
By the way, chloramines are NOT detectable by TDS meters. I have a TDS controller already, it shuts my solenoids when it's 1 or above. You may have 0 TDS and still have chloramines, hence you need to test, whether with inaccurate strips or with 2-300$ handheld meters, or with a more costly in-line controller

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear you, but other than lazyness.. You really never know when they change the chlorination schedule in a city (often is unpredictable due to bacterial blooms at the water treatment facilities), ending up with changing the blocks too early or too late. Once the monitor detects anything above the setpoint, and those things go down to 2-3 decimals usually, it shuts-off your solenoid (I got 2 in series, again with automation you need backups).

Lets say you have a carbon block on the edge, and they decided to go full blast with chloramines at the treatment facility, you may end up being in trouble, I guess many people don't notice, they have stuff bleaching/dying and don't even think of it, until it's too late.

I take this hobby very seriously, and my fish and inverts are pets, I can't let that happen. Changing carbon blocks at set (random) timeframes is not good enough, testing every batch of RODI is unrealistic as the tank has an ATO directly from the mixing station, and again it may be too late.
I hear you. Things happen. you mentioned the reason was 'laziness' - which is why I mentioned it. IMHO - if you change your carbon on a routine - every 3 months - no matter what the city does - you will not have a problem. Unless you have better information than I - or your water treatment facility does things out of the norm. In any case - good luck:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way, chloramines are NOT detectable by TDS meters. I have a TDS controller already, it shuts my solenoids when it's 1 or above. You may have 0 TDS and still have chloramines, hence you need to test, whether with inaccurate strips or with 2-300$ handheld meters, or with a more costly in-line controller
I know. If you change your carbon block regularly - you will not have a problem.... The recommendation is every 6-8 months. Since 99 percent of people do not monitor chlorine - IMHO - its not needed. But - if you want to do it - all good

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for one? I'm curious what one looks like or would cost? This is something I would totally do on my tank, as I already have a full RO monitor hooked up, and am working on a DI monitor.. the idea of measuring the chlorine is just awesome.. That would be the only step I don't have...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a link for one? I'm curious what one looks like or would cost? This is something I would totally do on my tank, as I already have a full RO monitor hooked up, and am working on a DI monitor.. the idea of measuring the chlorine is just awesome.. That would be the only step I don't have...
You can use low-level chlorine tests strips... thats whats recommended

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe double inline the carbon blocks? Take a bit more plumbing, but it's cheaper than a chlorine monitor.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put multiple carbon blocks in series and then test periodically. I had 5 blocks and installed a port after the 4th. When there was detectable chlorine (0.02 mg/L) I would discard the first block, move the remaining 4 up, and install a brand new 5th block.

Having 5 blocks meant that I didn't have to test very often and that I wasn't discarding a block that still had some life left in it.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of work and a lot that can go wrong.. but I get it, some people are more inclined to automation others aren’t

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a lot of work and a lot that can go wrong.. but I get it, some people are more inclined to automation others aren’t
I agree. Can you do a favor - if you change your RODI at specified timeframes (prefilter, carbon and DI resin) - and your membrane at the recommended intervals. (This is sincere not meant to be snarky) - let us know when it happens that you have a positive chlorine level on your monitor?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chlorine meter would be just a fail safe. I cannot see it "causing" a problem Aside from the RO/DI not being produced), since when it is not shutting things down, the system is no different than an ordinary system without it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back