In Media baskets for Fluval Flex 123L Marine

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been running my new Fluval Flex Marine 123l for about 16 weeks now and on the whole I am quite happy with it. I have read a lot about the stock filter media not being particularly efficient and have decided to replace the foam inserts with the plastic In media baskets. I am currently using Carbon Seachem Purigen and Seachem Matric in my filters and I dose some stability at every water change. I also have introduced phos guard to help control the Diatom algae.

I would like some advice on what to fill my new baskets with and in what order? Do I put floss at the top then purigen then carbon on the bottom or vice versa. I have read that the new baskets will direct flow from the top down so I am thinking the floss should go on the top. If someone could advise I would be very grateful

Thanks

David

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as if you are good on media, anything else I would only add when needed, the order of what you have isn’t too important apart from the floss is the first thing you want the overflow water hitting, you want food etc removed before the carton etc has to work on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in my new baskets and topped up the water level so the flow spills into tge top of the baskets. I took this photo about 4 hours after installation. The floss was brand new and white so I think its making a difference already. Really pleased with the build quality and fit within the tank too.
20201205_160057.jpg

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your tank needed that floss...was your sand disturbed? As it looks like it’s mainly sand?

It’s recommended to change floss every 2-3 days btw.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Reef ill be sure to do that. I did scrape the glass of the diatom algae which had built up so might have something to do with that.

Upvote 0

jeremyreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in my new baskets and topped up the water level so the flow spills into tge top of the baskets. I took this photo about 4 hours after installation. The floss was brand new and white so I think its making a difference already. Really pleased with the build quality and fit within the tank too.
20201205_160057.jpg
Is that the PS1 in with the heater?my heater is there also because it won’t fit in the small holes on sides of chambers

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back