In Minnesota, but new 'round these parts

OnlyGenusCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am living in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, a member of the Minnesota Aquarium Society (MAS), and working toward my first marine tank. I've kept FW fish and amphibians before. But I want to make the leap into SW. Here is a run down of my plans.

I'll be converting an acrylic 42 gal bowfront, with a 10 gal as a sump. That's in place as a FW, but the sump will be reconfigured. I've got a skimmer and roller mat for the new sump set up. There is only one return (I know, redundancy is good, but I'm sort of stuck with that).

I'm planning on biome cycling the tank. I have a 20 gal QT ready to go for all livestock. I like breeding fish, so right now I'm planning on clowns, and another yet to be determined fish I can breed. Plus, I'd like to do softies and some LPS in there eventually. As well as, snails, shrimp, and assorted invert CUC. I am looking forward to the challenge of breeding marine species! I'll have a separate breeding setup dedicated in my basement.

At the moment, I'm at least a month out from putting the tank together. I need to BAP out and give away the cichlids that currently live in the tank. The thing I am researching now is the habitat needs for the fish, and the first corals I want to put in. This, I hope, will allow me to assemble the scape into something appropriate for the species I'd like to house.

I think I have an idea of what I need for the clowns, but I can't decide on a second species that would play well with the clowns, and I could breed. Top contenders are royal gramma (Gramma loreto), orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani), and striped blenny (Meiacanthus grammistes). I'd be open to other suggestions as well. One of the things I am struggling with though is understanding the tank habitat each of the species prefers, so I can pick one and design the rockwork to fit for them. Any suggestions on where I can look that up?

Also, I'm trying to find a fairly comprehensive guide to aquarium corals, either website or book, with cultivation useful information, so tht I can better fmiliarize myself with those too. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions on that as well.

Lastly, I'd like to thanks all of the contributors here over the years who have build this forum into the incredible resource that it is! I look forward to learning more.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! For your BAP saltwater entry, you may also want to consider Bangaii Cardinalfish. They are mouthbrooders like many cichlids. Additionally, there are saltwater killifish that may also be an option. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! So many options for info on specific coral care including here on R2R. I always found Tidal Garden’s videos, YouTube, on specific corals and care very helpful.

Agrass1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community. I'm also in the twin cities. As far as another fish to breed Banggai cardinalfish are regularly reported by hobbyists to be spawning in display tanks, and they can by kept as a small school as opposed to a pair. As far as habitats go. Most people would agree that live rock, a sand bed and pumps are the basics that will suit many fish. the important thing is working in plenty of caves for the fish to hide if they need to, or just sleep at night. A nem for the clownfish is great, but not all clownfish take to their anemones right away, and that is also not something you want to add immediately.

OP
OP
OnlyGenusCaps

OnlyGenusCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the very kind welcomes everyone!
For your BAP saltwater entry, you may also want to consider Bangaii Cardinalfish. They are mouthbrooders like many cichlids.
Thanks for the idea! I'd thought about those, but I'll admit I feared the need to ter apart the scape to catch the young - like I have had to do with cichlids. Honestly, I might just not be great at catching fish. That could also be a real thing. But I do like those fish!
Welcome fellow MN reefer
Thanks! I was just through Big Lake a couple weekends go, bringing home a new dog.
I always found Tidal Garden’s videos, YouTube, on specific corals and care very helpful.
I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!
I hope you will create a build thread so we can follow along!
Thanks for the kind welcome! I can, but I suspect it'll be pretty amateurish as it'll be my first. If I do, be kind - k? :winking-face-with-tongue:
Welcome to the community. I'm also in the twin cities.
Thanks! Good to meet some local folks here!
As far as another fish to breed Banggai cardinalfish are regularly reported by hobbyists to be spawning in display tanks, and they can by kept as a small school as opposed to a pair.
The small school option does up their cachet!
As far as habitats go. Most people would agree that live rock, a sand bed and pumps are the basics that will suit many fish. the important thing is working in plenty of caves for the fish to hide if they need to, or just sleep at night.
To preface, I might be overthinking this here... But, I guess I was thinking about whether the species prefers overhangs, caves, or swim-throughs. Do they spend more time high or low in the tank. Do they defend a single preferred hide, or do they duck into any available space when scared. Those sorts of things. For some FW species I have found that plants, caves, or swim-throughs are all treated differently. I also keep dart frogs, and the setup is totally different depending on the habits of the species. I suppose I just want to build the scape for the inhabitants I intend to put in, rather than finding out the hard way that one size doesn't fit all. Again, I could be over thinking it. That's something I am guilty of often. :zany-face:
A nem for the clownfish is great, but not all clownfish take to their anemones right away, and that is also not something you want to add immediately.
Excellent tip! Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back