In Need of Research and advice

Colibri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Happy Year 2020! May your underwater gardens flourish!

I have been a freshwater tank aficionado for the past 6yrs and decided to make the jump to saltwater about a year ago.
I have purchased:
55 gal tank
1 protein skimmer on Amazon
1 refugium with chaeto
20lbs of live rocks
30lbs of dry rocks
After 4 months the dry rocks were covered in coraline algae and I purchased my first hardy corals (kryptonite candy cane and frogspawn)
A month later I added 2 oscellaris (predictable I know... ;) ) and an hawaian feather duster.
Everything seems to be going well so far with all my parameters.
Now that I am a little bit more confident in my skills, I want to spend my "Xmas green presents" on a more professional, sleek looking set up. For that I need your inputs, advice, recommendations, criticisms, to get the best:
ALL IN ONE set up system for saltwater reef tank (stand included)
Dimensions: 48"L, 18" W, no height limit
I don't mind going bigger than my actual 50gal but I cannot go beyong the length and width mentioned above.
I have to travel for work from time to time an almost self sufficient system is a must.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a red sea fan due to their sump design but I have heard good things about waterbox too. Fijicube is coming out with some but I haven't looked into them (besides their sumps which I own one).

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Colibri

I came across your other thread so I figured I would hit 2 fish with one stone ;) (Yes I am that corny)

first we missed #WelcometoR2R in both threads so welcome, glad you joined us.

(I was not too sure what you were referring to in you other post, maybe a little more detail and a photo under white may help in that one)

so, my first question is why change what is going so well? Sounds like you are doing a great job. just me, Going higher will give more room for coral if you build the rock up, but not really much in the way of more room for fish since the footprint is still the same. You will need a light to handle the extra depth.

I would sink the money into building a sweet stand and some other equipment upgrades like dosing. But, on the same not nothing wrong with a shiny new tank

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a red sea fan due to their sump design but I have heard good things about waterbox too. Fijicube is coming out with some but I haven't looked into them (besides their sumps which I own one).
Red Sea series is getting a lot of complaints about the glass panels shifting bc they are made overseas and bounce around in a Container Ship for 2 weeks crossing the Pacific Ocean.

Some Red Sea owners are starting to see weakened seals coming apart within the 1st year.

I'm actually predicting the Rea Sea line of tanks going bankrupt when a class action lawsuit comes together on their $2-$3k tanks literally coming apart at the seams.

I'd avoid Red Sea so you dont get caught up in.the mayhem.

Find a Regional LFS that represents USA MADE tanks that get trucked from the Mfgr facility to them then to YOU....not bouncing inside a Container Ship across the entire Pacific Ocean.

Im.telling ya....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea series is getting a lot of complaints about the glass panels shifting bc they are made overseas and bounce around in a Container Ship for 2 weeks crossing the Pacific Ocean.

Some Red Sea owners are starting to see weakened seals coming apart within the 1st year.

I'm actually predicting the Rea Sea line of tanks going bankrupt when a class action lawsuit comes together on their $2-$3k tanks literally coming apart at the seams.

I'd avoid Red Sea so you dont get caught up in.the mayhem.

Find a Regional LFS that represents USA MADE tanks that get trucked from the Mfgr facility to them then to YOU....not bouncing inside a Container Ship across the entire Pacific Ocean.

Im.telling ya....

That seems odd. The store I work at sells plenty of them and we have them set up in the shop and we have never heard nor seen any problems.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back