In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must......

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 178 40.8%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 219 50.2%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 39 8.9%

• Total voters

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a balance between what the reef needs and what the reef keeper finds enjoyment doing. A hobby should never be work. All reefs and keepers are unique.

Texas_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable parameters, a good clean up crew, mentors even if they are just youtubers, atleast they show you their tank so there isn’t an algae filled tank with dying corals behind there advice. Just be aware of all requirements of everything your putting in your tank and do your research, don’t just do something because your saw one persons success story.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things you must understand to have success. There are a lot of different ways to say these things, but I'm going to over simplify.

1. If your corals aren't growing, they are dying. There is no in between which means your basic parms are super important. It doesn't matter what the rate of growth is.

2. There is nothing better at reducing nutrients than coral. If we have to keep our P and N detectable than corals are using them. Doesn't it always seem that the tanks with a lot of coral are the ones struggling to keep up nutrients and can't keep macro growing? Trying to keep just a handful of corals while trying to get your system right before investing is shooting you in the foot.

3. RO/DI. I can not express enough how important this is. I bet half the problems we see reefers post about can be fixed by this way overlooked step. 2 carbon blocks, 2 membranes, and 2 DI are a minimum in my opinion. These aren't your normal everyday fish tanks. They are the pinnacle of the aquarium hobby.

These are the 3 conclusions that have made me feel successful and I have read almost nothing on these 3 conclusions. At least not put this way.

Invest in your testing.
Accelerate coral purchases.
Keep that RO/DI lab grade.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back