In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must......

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 178 40.8%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 219 50.2%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 39 8.9%

• Total voters

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is in the eye of the beholder! Non- hobbyist thinks your tank looks great. Your like “whattttttt....thanks.”
It is great! You have a living piece of the ocean in your living room.

Believe me, you are successful!
Is it where you want it to be? Maybe not, but take a step back and acknowledge how far you have come
And how much you have achieved!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must __C. All of the above____.

LOL assuming you have the all the required "basic" equipment for light, oxygen exchange, and filtration, from my experience stability is King. Its very hard for me at least to not constantly move things, change light schedules, chase a problem with additives, keep my hands out of the tank, etc.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must be consistent.

I only clicked yes on the poll because I can grow coral and now I know how to make it color up. Whether you're using a calcium reactor, dosing pump, dosing by hand, or just doing water changes, don't stop doing what you're doing. If things are going well and you think you can take a step back, DON'T. Things are only going well because of the time you put into it. There is no such thing as waiting an extra week for a water change or testing if that's not what you're already doing. I all too well know how easy it is to look at your beautiful tank with pretty corals and think, "I'm just going to enjoy it." Then the STN starts happening, corals start browning or receding, and you're back to square 1. Keep moving forward.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

Untitled-3.jpg
Have vast diversity

I did answer not yet.
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

Untitled-3.jpg
Have vast diversity.

I answered not yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must work 3 jobs, overtime at each one and yet still the time to enjoy the tank rather than doing full time maintenance and chasing numbers thereby getting no sleep and being stressed out all the time..

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up with husbandry. No matter how experienced, how automated, and how mature your tank is. It is imperative to keep up with measurements, testing and maintenance of (not just) water and hardware.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing has taught me how to be a water chemist. Luckily there's adequate testing equipment and knowledge of acceptable parameters.
Reefing and aquarium care in general isn't about the livestock, but the water. So we are all amateur marine chemists. Lol

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have eternal vigilance and discipline.

Although I'm only a little over 10 months into my first reef tank, I've found that this hobby does not allow for neglect or laziness. You have to stick with your husbandry and maintenance or you will pay for it down the road. Luckily I tend to enjoy most of the husbandry and try to be proactive to prevent problems rather than reactive when problems arrive.

Regarding success, I would say that the best reefers probably never view themselves as totally successful. There's always something more to learn, something to improve upon, or some new challenge to try. Even if you feel you've mastered your current tank, there's always the next tank, or the next challenge. Reefing is much like music in that it seems to have an infinite learning curve. You couldn't possibly learn and master everything even in a lifetime of reefing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back