In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must......

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 178 40.8%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 219 50.2%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 39 8.9%

• Total voters

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must work 3 jobs, overtime at each one and yet still the time to enjoy the tank rather than doing full time maintenance and chasing numbers thereby getting no sleep and being stressed out all the time..
Oh yea, that too!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

Sign up to R2R first of all, then read a lot, then read some more, and follow people who you think are successful and copy/follow their advice. (Ah yes and then pretend you are patient)

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

Treat it like a(nother) child.
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

Recognize it’s like a(nother) child as far as requiring your money, time, patience, money, good food, money, and hands on/ hands off involvement based on the situation.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUDGET...BUDGET...BUDGET...and BUDGET!
1. Don't do it unless you are not afraid of overspending a normal person's budget for a hobby.
2. Don't do it unless you are willing to budget a lot of time to your hobby...project, reading, learning and caring.
3. Don't do it unless you have mental budget to accept failures and disappointments so you can hopefully turn them into successes.
4. Don't do it unless you budget time for your significant other(s) and family or you and your hobby will suffer.

Apart from that, patience, continual husbandry and testing while being careful not to chase parameters has worked for me. So far.

SCA50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had my 2nd tank for 8 months after an epic fail on my first tank. The second time around I bought a nice RODI and built a 55 gallon storage system. Now I'm religious about water changes and maintenance and the tank looks great ! Imagine that lol

Brian Coble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-3.jpg
Do your homework, read,read and read, be extremely patient and do everything SLOWLY!! Maintain your tank,test,test and test water parameters and do water changes when needed!
Lastly join a reefing club like R2R and do more reading
Happy reefing

Mr_White_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience and consistency, the ability to leave things alone and just let the corals adjust to their environment. That Being said, also having the ability to automate as much as possible to help remove the human inconstancy also helps with good monitoring and maintenance habits

20191110_083736.jpg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Own at least 3 tanks. Become a fish and coral quarantine and treatment experts. Set up a small vet clinic for all of them, then properly diagnose and treat everything.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Greybeard's Rules for Successful Reefing:
1) Nothing good happens fast. Relax. Take your time.
2) Keep your filthy mitts outa the dag blasted tank!
3) Water Changes.

Ain't no gismo you can purchase that will ever take the place of a knowledgeable, attentive, conscientious reef keeper.

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, be consistent, look at your tank everyday to see what it needs, don't over react, remove the waste, quarantine and let nature do it's thing.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TGo keep a healthy reef you must treat nature as something that's way smarter than the human. It has built ocean chemistry and ocean biodiversity over billions of year. Human replication of natures processes is not managed or controlled, but guided by using nature. I don't consider myself 100% successful, but, I've managed to keep fish healthy, alive, and working together for the past year and watched corals grow as I added more fish and corals. Everything is working together without much intervention from me. To me that's success even if it's not perfect. I still have issues with pests like Aiptasia. I still occasionally battle a mechanical issue here and there, but, none of what I battle with puts the biodome in jeopardy and I have ways to manage it remotely and monitor things. To me that is success!

Ejostling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-3.jpg
Keep nutrients in check.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back