In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must......

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 178 40.8%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 219 50.2%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 39 8.9%

• Total voters

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

Untitled-3.jpg

In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

1. Before starting a reef tank, must be familiar with the basics of keeping a reef tank before starting
2. if you have contact with someone who is very successful keeping a reef tank take their advice seriously.
3. must have the mentality of a farmer
4. Patience and perseverance
5. Patience and perseverance
6. And last the patience of Job

one of the most difficult corals to keep, Carnation Coral, Dendronephthya sp

20191110_175010.jpg

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef you need regular maintenance. Over time and as you add more livestock, parameters change and equipment performance declines. Overlooking these details can mean a tank crash!

Empress Of Mermaids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automized with ato and doser. Maintain elevated parameters for constant availability.

Not create totally sterile environment. Believe in nature's balance with biodiversity

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never get complacent. I remember my first Chief told me something about learning when I was newbie non-qual sailor on my first boat.

First - you know nothing and you know you know nothing
Second - you know something and think you know something
Third - you know a lot and think you know know a lot.
Last (and most don't make it this far) - you know as much as you can and realize you still know nothing.

I've made it a practice in my life to always try and minimize the time I spend on 2 and 3 with any new venture. So far, it's worked ok for me.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must create the space for it to thrive. What needs to happen in that space may be part of an ongoing discovery, however if the space for the reef doesn’t exist then the reef doesn’t exist.

Jmass015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your water.Maintain your regular maintenance schedule.Keep your hands out.
Look at everything closely everyday.
Be patient.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. :cool:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend alot of time with your tank. You'll be able to see issues much sooner and be able to combat them before they turn into a huge algae battle.

Be realistic about your expectations with your reef based off of how much time (and money) you're able to put into it. It's not likely to have a long term sucessful 100 gallon tank if you're not able to spend the required time to keep it nice. If you're short on available time, just be realistic and set your tank up to match the amount of involvment you want with your tank. It can be very frustrating when you need to give your tank more attention than you're able, and end up watching things go downhill when you're just unable or unwilling to put the work in it requires.

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a contingency plan for when (not “if”) things go wrong. I do not agree that you have to be loaded to enjoy this hobby but you do have to be willing to learn a fair amount of science and develop your DIY skill set if you are on a tight budget. I am a process manager and love to tinker with finding workarounds and efficiencies so reefing is a nice complement to that. I did not have a strong science background so there was a significant learning curve for me and I spent months buying used reef/marine books and learning as much as I could in advance. Even then, there were times I simply had to reach out and ask for help from this great community of reefers who are always willing to help a newbie achieve success.

The other key thing I would mention is maintaining a humble attitude and be willing to accept answers from experienced reefers even if it’s not the answer you were hoping for. Many a sea creature has suffered at the hands of a proud and obstinate reefer. When you commit to reefing you are committing to caring for living beings, some with longer lifespans than a cat or dog, so don’t be flip about bringing inhabitants home for your reef without knowing their care requirements and ensuring you can meet them.

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are healthy, my corals are healthy my parameters are stable. all off this has been this way for several years. I keep only soft corals. Hard corals are too much work. I don't spend a lot of time on my tank except for watching and feeding the fish, monthly water changes, daily clean the glass. My tank is about 90 gal. I have some aggressive fish, dragon wrasse, snow flake eel, lunar wrasse, 6-line wrasse, sailfin tang, yellow tang, fox face, dwarf lion, diamond goby, orchid dottyback & a picasso trigger. Everyone gets along but I can't add anything small timid or crustacean.
20191101_104455.jpg
20191101_104510.jpg
20191101_104540.jpg
20191101_104543.jpg

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are healthy, my corals are healthy my parameters are stable. all off this has been this way for several years. I keep only soft corals. Hard corals are too much work. I don't spend a lot of time on my tank except for watching and feeding the fish, monthly water changes, daily clean the glass. My tank is about 90 gal. I have some aggressive fish, dragon wrasse, snow flake eel, lunar wrasse, 6-line wrasse, sailfin tang, yellow tang, fox face, dwarf lion, diamond goby, orchid dottyback & a picasso trigger. Everyone gets along but I can't add anything small timid or crustacean.
20191101_104455.jpg
20191101_104510.jpg
20191101_104540.jpg
20191101_104543.jpg

This is a great example of knowing your limits. If you're not someone who can put up with the maintenance schedule, just don't do SPS and you can still have a beautiful thriving tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back