In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must......

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 178 40.8%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 219 50.2%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 39 8.9%

• Total voters

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must learn all that you can and do maintenance. There are no substitutes!

NYCMikeM3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

In order to keep a healthy reef tank you must ________________________.

Untitled-3.jpg
Finish this sentence with what you think fits best or with something important that you have learned!

Untitled-3.jpg

...have a very understanding significant-other

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to go with not sure. I'm only a little more than a year into the hobby but research a lot and feel i know what it takes and my tank should be thriving. And yet for no apparent reason it struggles.

I mean it's really not that complicated... or at least shouldn't be.

Stable parameters
Flow
Light
Nutrition

puffdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, good water to start with, stability, good testing methods & record keeping, take the time to look at it and enjoy your creation.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a) handcuff yourself to a chair
b) watch every BRS video in order
c) ask your wife, partner, etc.. to hide your wallet
d) The most important tip - Read EVERYTHING on R22

After that, having a successful reef tank is in the bag!

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly successful and it only took twenty years. Attentive and observant. After a while you learn your system and how your coral reacts to change. How fast does the algae grow on the glass and knowing what that means. Consistency in timing of water changes, feeding. The animals will tell you what they want and need if you listen with your eyes.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Develop keen eyes, nose and ears (yes - sounds your plumbing makes) for signs of trouble.
Watch how bubbles break on the DT surface. The longer they linger, the more proteins are coating their spheres. Take action. Clean and check your skimmer for optimal performance. When did you last change water? Are there any dead critters? Are your fish looking vibrant and healthy and are they actively seeking nourishment? Do they go after food with vigour? How are the parameters? When did you last change filter medium? Is your sump healthy - how well is your macroalgae growing? How much detritus is building up?
Smell the tank. Is it fresh like the ocean or is it starting to smell slightly rancid? Test the parameters and check all the same things as above.
Listen for gurgles or surges. Is your plumbing choking from sludge or macro critters?
Perform husbandry on a set schedule. Don't make huge changes over short periods. Do them slowly and observe results.
Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions here!
I've learned that my senses have become keen and have developed to the point that I can predict parameters very well - that test kits only verify. In fact, I rarely need to use test kits except for ascertaining numbers crucial for coral health - dkh, calcium and magnesium etc..

Last edited:

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting really redundant, but slow and patient is the key. I caused most, if not all of my woes by trying to get rid of algae and other uglies that would have gone away sooner if I had been patient and waited for the echosystem to establish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have patience.

I am only 9 months in but everything is growing in the tank and I have only lost a few fish and only 1 invert and no corals yet so I said I am successful.

Knowing my luck, after typing that, everything will be dead in the morning. lol

Back