In praise of my radion g4 xr30

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I was shopping for a new-to-me light for a project I've been incubating.

@mfinn shared the great advice that a used g4 xr30pro might be perfect for me.

I found one that was being sold by a member of my local club and after a hundred or so miles of driving (round trip) and a 9pm meetup in a Home Depot parking lot, I had my light, a diffuser, and a RMS mount.

I installed it on my tank and before putting it over any corals I tested my par. The RMS probably has the light about 10 inches from the water's surface.

I decided that I wanted a maximum of 500 par at the highest point in my aquascape (about 8 inches from the surface) and I love the look of AB+.

I figured that I would start from 0% program intensity and just go up until I hit my target.

Well, I hit my target par at TWELVE PERCENT intensity. Wow. It's no wonder people bleach corals with these things. At 14 inches, everything is above 275... mostly above 300.

I own a kessil, an AI and the radion (and some beloved 400w metal halides, of course!) and while each light has it's merits and use case, the radion (yes even an old used one) is just awesome. I feel like I'm late to a fantastic party.

I put in some tester corals last night. These guys FINALLY make my bubblegum digitata have green tips. They all but disappeared under my kessil. I'm eager to see how my myagi tort colors up.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds awesome! Post some pics if possible! Best of luck :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I still love the light, but I realized that I wasn't updating my schedule in real time when I was taking these measures. The aforementioned post is just 100% wrong. The light still hits the par sweet spot, but only at like 70%. Honestly this is better for me. I was worried that it was too powerful. Sorry if this thread caused any confusion!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, I still love the light, but I realized that I wasn't updating my schedule in real time when I was taking these measures. The aforementioned post is just 100% wrong. The light still hits the par sweet spot, but only at like 70%. Honestly this is better for me. I was worried that it was too powerful. Sorry if this thread caused any confusion!
I read your post and started thinking I must be doing something wrong. lol

Back