In reefing what area do you excel in and struggle in?

Is there an area of reefing you EXCEL in?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 87 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 37 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I know, the more I don't know. For each question i find an answer, 10 more questions pop up.:rolleyes:

Oh the joy of learning.;Bookworm

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I excel at finding a way to get something new, when i say no more. I also lately excel at the design of a system, making sure that it will work long term for maintenence etc.

I struggle with always eying coral. The problem is, my wife sees something pretty and has to have it, so i end up with more coral... also i struggle with over thinking things. I try to not to chase numbers, but ill get something in my head and research it to death. to the point i dream of it. If you want to know what dreaming about phosphate reduction looks like, im your man!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are do you think you excel in when it comes to reefing?

Spending money! Seriously what I am good at is adapting and learning. I like to figure things out and currently am working on “mastering” water. Or at the very least understanding water better

2. What area of reefing do you struggle with the most?

Programming the Neptune apex!!

Outside of that, the same as my answer above, water parameters. I want to master it but there is a lot of bad, and I mean BAD, info out there. I have learned enough to know we don’t know enough!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I excel in reef maintenance. I did tank maintenance for a lfs for 5 years and learned that maintenance is definitely connected to longevity. Fish and inverts live longer in a well maintained tank. Not only that, but a well maintained tank is a pleasure to look at so the enjoyment of the hobby is perpetuated. That keeps the aquarists engaged and interested in their hobby.

I do not do well with testing parameters. That is one aspect of maintenance that I hate. I have found a solution to that in that I do not keep livestock that require close tolerances in parameters, LOL. I am content to keep fish, inverts, softies and LPS coral along with macro algae. Weekly 5% water changes works well with my tank and inhabitants.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not working, or maybe I don't have enough. How many is a good starting number? 90 gallon tank.
I've had about ten in my 30 gallon for probably 6 months now (they were not all purchased at once). They didn't get rid of the vermetid overnight, but I rarely see any of those annoying snails anymore. If I were you, I would buy a dozen, wait a month, buy another dozen. They will clean up your tank in a few weeks probably. They don't only eat vermetid, so they will do fine in your tank after the snails are gone.

pbenjbear2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I mostly definitely EXCEL at throwing money into this hobby
2) HUGE struggle battling algae: tried different critters, increased our CUC, various treatments, blacked out, light changes, etc etc - Thus the EXCEL AT SPENDING $$$$

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I excel at convincing my gf I need new equipment. I excel at overfeeding my fish and I excel at keeping my sump clean!
I struggle with the aesthetics of my electrical wiring, keeping my skimmer dialed in, and not adjusting my lighting schedule!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back