• Powerhead

Results are only viewable after voting.

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m rebuilding my system and one thing I didn’t love about my previous build was the constant layer of detritus in my sump. This time around I’d like to invest in some water pumps to keep the detritus from settling and ideally finding its way into uthe Reef Mat.

Should I be going with a set of gyres or power heads? I’m debating between the ice cap 2k Gyres or the Jebao MLW-5 Nano powerheads.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either but would have thought a gyre to be a bit excessive and quite large.
I've seen small pumps placed in the sump before to provide circulation. This may be cheaper than a powerhwad although it would probably bring additional maintenance requirements.

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either but would have thought a gyre to be a bit excessive and quite large.
I've seen small pumps placed in the sump before to provide circulation. This may be cheaper than a powerhwad although it would probably bring additional maintenance requirements.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I do agree that pumps would bring additional maintenance. I’ll notch you down under Powerhead ;)

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Hydor nano pump for the caulerpas but I rather have the detritus settles in the bottom so that I clean that out during weekly wc. I only clean the sump.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought people would be more opinionated about this lol
I am actually very opinionated about this!!!!!!!!

You must have a power head not a gyre!!

Jk :) but I do believe something in there is needed, actually when I seen you questioned a gyre I was thinking that might work for my large sump, that's a good idea! I didn't think of.

So I use powerheads in my sumps the nero 3' to be exact, works great for me, but I only use those because my first 3 were very cheap then I've added more so now I have 7 in various tanks and sumps, otherwise I'm not particular about brand or style.

The nero on 100% works great in the sump, i dose directly into it. im sure the jabo clone is no different other than price.

How big is this sump you have?

Attachments

• 20230125_155440.jpg
    20230125_155440.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230125_155433.jpg
    20230125_155433.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually very opinionated about this!!!!!!!!

You must have a power head not a gyre!!

Jk :) but I do believe something in there is needed, actually when I seen you questioned a gyre I was thinking that might work for my large sump, that's a good idea! I didn't think of.

So I use powerheads in my sumps the nero 3' to be exact, works great for me, but I only use those because my first 3 were very cheap then I've added more so now I have 7 in various tanks and sumps, otherwise I'm not particular about brand or style.

The nero on 100% works great in the sump, i dose directly into it. im sure the jabo clone is no different other than price.

How big is this sump you have?
Thank you so much for the awesome response!!

My sump is “24 Gallons” (according to Red Sea). I have the reader 425 G2

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a cheap powerhead in my sump, although I keep mine for quicker 2 part mixing and the stirring of detritus is just an added perk. I would go with a powerhead over a gyre but either would work fine.
I’ll vote powerhead because a gyre seems like overkill.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sicce nano 1000 or 2000 powerheads in my sump compartments. The design of my sump leaves stagnant eater and these help keep things moving. And you can frequently find them on sale. I wouldn't put anything expensive, or even worry about a DC pump, in the sump. There are no corals or fish to keep happy down there so economical is the way to go.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres are trash and breakdown consistently. Not to mention replacement parts are hard to find when "new" models come out and the old ones are memory holed. These "new" gyres aren't really new in that they are different or better, just "new" as in incompatible. Carlos, you're a disappointment. On YT telling us to clean gyres with vinegar and then blaming vinegar for ruptured magnets.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back