In tank macro?

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 30 g with no room for a refugium. I would like a good nutrient export. Is it possible to keep some sort of macro in my main display? Preferably one with some color other than green. What would you recommend? Or would this not work? Thanks

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red ogo is sexy and pulls out some nutrients. Dragon's breath is amazing but isn't the best choice if you are after export.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gracilaria hayi is one of my favorites. It grows fast and looks great, but there are plenty others to choose from. Check out live-plants.com.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both Red Spike (GRACILARIA TIKVAHIAE) and Thick Ogo (RED GRACILARIA) in my Display Tank.

The only problem is that my tangs eat the Ogo faster than it grows, so I wouldn't recommend it for nutrient export if you have Tangs.

The Red Spike, on the other hand, gets left alone completely. I have read that the same is true for Dragon's Tongue (HALYMENIA DILATATA). There are also several species of calcareous macros that fish will avoid completely.

The only challenge with Red Spike or Dragon's Tongue is keeping it anchored down. I ended up using Superglue to tack it onto some of my rock work. I tried simply wedging it underneath rocks or trapping it between two rocks, but with my gyres it always seems to be a matter of time before it got loose and started drifting around the tank.

You can leave it free floating if you don't have a lot of water flow or if you have "dead spots" in your aquascape where there isn't a lot of flow.

From a nutrient export perspective, the "red" species of macros won't take up as much as Chaeto would (for example), but it does help.

Bottom line - there is nothing wrong with putting Macros in your display!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back