in the planning stage of a 400+ build

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the very early planning stages of a large build and am still trying to figure out the dimensions and was just curious as to what other people went with. So I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 sizes. 120"x48"x24" or 96"x36"x36". Does anyone here have 8'+ tanks with the 24" height? How does it look to you? Do you wish you went taller? I feel like a taller tank has a lot of potential for coral growth and aquascape. I also love the idea of an extra long and deep tank from front to back. The reason I don't want to go with both options here is it pretty much doubles the volume of the tank and that's just a little too big for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have been thinking about this for awhile.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both 96"Lx48"Wx24"T and 6"Lx48"Wx36"T. If you look at my older build thread Dual Plywood Displays you can see how the two look next to each other. 36" tall for my fish only was great because it was bare bottom and I never needed you get anything from the bottom as part of normal maintenance. I decided my new display is going to be 32" of tall because 36" was just a bit too much and is the limit of 3/4" plate glass. I find that the height looks nice but it will limit your access. Reaching the bottom will not be easy or even possible unless you have some tools to reach but if you like to be hands off this is not always a bad thing. One suggestion I would make if you go taller is a shorter stand so when you are sitting in a chair you can easily view the tank but that would also limit the ability to put a sump under the tank (I keep a separate fish room for filtration and don't use under the tank sumps anymore for my main displays)

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both 96"Lx48"Wx24"T and 6"Lx48"Wx36"T. If you look at my older build thread Dual Plywood Displays you can see how the two look next to each other. 36" tall for my fish only was great because it was bare bottom and I never needed you get anything from the bottom as part of normal maintenance. I decided my new display is going to be 32" of tall because 36" was just a bit too much and is the limit of 3/4" plate glass. I find that the height looks nice but it will limit your access. Reaching the bottom will not be easy or even possible unless you have some tools to reach but if you like to be hands off this is not always a bad thing. One suggestion I would make if you go taller is a shorter stand so when you are sitting in a chair you can easily view the tank but that would also limit the ability to put a sump under the tank (I keep a separate fish room for filtration and don't use under the tank sumps anymore for my main displays)
that system is amazing. I would love something like that but unfortunately only one tank that size for me lol. looking at the two tanks you have I do like the look of the taller one but I do agree that it would be a pain to reach the bottom. Maybe I can do a bit of a compromise and go 30". Also, the bowing you had on the 720, was that the glass bowing or the plywood?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd split the difference and go with 120"x48"x28". The 10' length would be amazing and you won't regret going 48" front to back. 24" is a bit short but I really like the 27" height of my 300. For height, 27 - 28 would be ideal and 30" is probably max (for me).

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that system is amazing. I would love something like that but unfortunately only one tank that size for me lol. looking at the two tanks you have I do like the look of the taller one but I do agree that it would be a pain to reach the bottom. Maybe I can do a bit of a compromise and go 30". Also, the bowing you had on the 720, was that the glass bowing or the plywood?
The bowing issue was the plywood tank sides. Once I added the external bracing the bowing issue was resolved. I tore that system down when I moved. I have rebuilt and integrated those tanks back into my new system and the 720 is a 700 pondliner tank with a glass front. The 480 is now a 400 gallon pondliner tank with a glass front.. 30" would be a good compromise and stick with the 48" front to back. I liked 48" front to back so much that I am going to 72" front to back now.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd split the difference and go with 120"x48"x28". The 10' length would be amazing and you won't regret going 48" front to back. 24" is a bit short but I really like the 27" height of my 300. For height, 27 - 28 would be ideal and 30" is probably max (for me).
yeah I love the footprint of 120x48. I think I like the 48 more than the 120 so maybe even a 96x48x30 would be nice.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bowing issue was the plywood tank sides. Once I added the external bracing the bowing issue was resolved. I tore that system down when I moved. I have rebuilt and integrated those tanks back into my new system and the 720 is a 700 pondliner tank with a glass front. The 480 is now a 400 gallon pondliner tank with a glass front.. 30" would be a good compromise and stick with the 48" front to back. I liked 48" front to back so much that I am going to 72" front to back now.
dang that's going to be nice! can't wait to follow that build thread. what will the overall dimensions be?

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F099B89A-BA34-4C4E-B593-0B0E5F7FD655.jpeg
Mines 96x48x26. I’m 6’4 and 36 inches looks nice but can be difficult to do maintenance on especially near the back. I’d go 120x36x30 if you like the extra height. You can take a look at my build thread 520 lockdown reef 2C62CE21-25AB-43BA-834D-92ABB097410F.jpeg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sizes you mentioned are 500-600 gallons range. I personally wouldn't go less than 36"Wide and 30" tall. Big tanks that are 24" tall don't appear large to me.

output_image1639370231141 (1).jpg

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sizes you mentioned are 500-600 gallons range. I personally wouldn't go less than 36"Wide and 30" tall. Big tanks that are 24" tall don't appear large to me.

output_image1639370231141 (1).jpg
They can absolutely have a “frag tank” like appearance but we all know the rule of maintaining isn’t easy it’s not getting done…..at least it’s true in my house.

Back