In-wall/Behind-wall, 180g peninsula, with a basement fish closet

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the AWC going? I'm still flirting with the idea of getting the X2SR...

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the AWC going? I'm still flirting with the idea of getting the X2SR...
I love it and have had no issues with it. Honestly, the tank is on auto-pilot right now. I have an auto feeder that feeds the fish several times a day. The AWC does a little over 2% each day for 15% each week. I have the kamoer pumps as well for my 2-part. Every weekend or so, I feed the carpets some squid or scallops. I haven't tested the tank in over eight months, but everything seems to be going well. I've been watching my clams, and as long as they are showing that nice white edge on their shell, they are growing, so I assume my parameters are all in line. I think the AWC has been very helpful in keeping consistent parameters not only with elements but with nutrients as well. I've noticed my GHA has slowly been fading away as well. That could also be because I stopped feeding frozen food about a month ago.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few pepermints and they are doing an OK job.
I've had success with peppermints in the past. However, my wrasse will devourer any shrimp it finds so they don't last long enough to make an impact, and what little space they have cleared, the aiptasia takes over again once the peppermints are all gone. The filefish has been great, as the other fish don't seem to bother him, and he is constantly picking away. I've added the berghia nudibranch to the sump because that is also full of aiptasia with the hopes that they can clear out down there and the filefish can clear out the DT.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the awc post I removed it

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, why? I’d Love to hear your experience with it as well
the person i bought it from said that it will loose calibration with the soft tubing and that i should use hard tubing. but the pump lost suction at the barb fitting that converted the soft tubing to the hard. Then where my sump is and where my mixing station is wasnt really conducive to the location of the ins an outs on the pump. it was a mess of tubes just to find out the suction wouldnt work. I had bought a new router, 25ft of tubing, 90degree connections and spent hours trying to figure it all out. I guess i just gave up when i tried to use it and it would suck or pump. nothing wrong with it. just need to step back and get some soft tubing and try again. for now i am going back to the old way i was doing things. I have a feeling i will try it again in another couple months because i cant seem to sell it. hahaha

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the person i bought it from said that it will loose calibration with the soft tubing and that i should use hard tubing. but the pump lost suction at the barb fitting that converted the soft tubing to the hard. Then where my sump is and where my mixing station is wasnt really conducive to the location of the ins an outs on the pump. it was a mess of tubes just to find out the suction wouldnt work. I had bought a new router, 25ft of tubing, 90degree connections and spent hours trying to figure it all out. I guess i just gave up when i tried to use it and it would suck or pump. nothing wrong with it. just need to step back and get some soft tubing and try again. for now i am going back to the old way i was doing things. I have a feeling i will try it again in another couple months because i cant seem to sell it. hahaha

Interesting feedback, I hadn't considered the soft tubing issue. Ultimately there isn't a lot of discussion that I can find and much of it is polarized on it's performance.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting feedback, I hadn't considered the soft tubing issue. Ultimately there isn't a lot of discussion that I can find and much of it is polarized on it's performance.
It has a calibration function to alleviate this issue or I would think I would. I just got too frazzled with trying to get it set up for my system. I will likely try again with soft tubing but I am concerned with kinks in that based upon the location of the unit my sump, and the sw resivoir.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soft tubing was helpful for me. My sump and water barrels are right next to each other; however, where the water is dumped is across the basement. I had to buy extra soft tubing to reach it. Once it was set up, I had to calibrate it a couple of times, and it did take some time to get it calibrated properly. But once I had it, it seemed to work well.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soft tubing was helpful for me. My sump and water barrels are right next to each other; however, where the water is dumped is across the basement. I had to buy extra soft tubing to reach it. Once it was set up, I had to calibrate it a couple of times, and it did take some time to get it calibrated properly. But once I had it, it seemed to work well.
So there is hope good to know :)

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition to the tank
61B06C3B-28E7-4526-AC8A-77EA201954DA.jpeg
38C0A134-7C35-41E0-83C1-864B7FFC5504.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow this tank is two years old, and I can't believe it. Number one, there was a stretch where I was upgrading tanks every six months, and B because this hobby is challenging, and I'm glad I stuck with it. I've learned a lot of things in the four years since I started, but this tank has taught me the most patience. I had every kind of "ugly" a tank could get. Dino, Cyano, Bubble, Aptasia, GHA, etc. I spent hundreds-thousands of dollars trying all different methods to get rid of them... but in the end, time was the best medicine. I've bought coral after coral that the tank wasn't ready for and watched them die, but now with stable parameters, I have an SPS coral from my first tank that died, and I pulled, suddenly started to grow again.

I would like to add some new fish, though.

IMG_8174.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow this tank is two years old, and I can't believe it. Number one, there was a stretch where I was upgrading tanks every six months, and B because this hobby is challenging, and I'm glad I stuck with it. I've learned a lot of things in the four years since I started, but this tank has taught me the most patience. I had every kind of "ugly" a tank could get. Dino, Cyano, Bubble, Aptasia, GHA, etc. I spent hundreds-thousands of dollars trying all different methods to get rid of them... but in the end, time was the best medicine. I've bought coral after coral that the tank wasn't ready for and watched them die, but now with stable parameters, I have an SPS coral from my first tank that died, and I pulled, suddenly started to grow again.

I would like to add some new fish, though.

IMG_8174.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg
Congrats to two years!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back