In your opinion, what is the key to zoanthid growth?

josh1591

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have heard the saying "zoas love dirty water", and while they do thrive in tanks with higher nutrients, what do you think is the key to zoanthid health and growth? Iodine dosing? Spot feeding? Amino acid dosing? Or just plain old dirty water. Share your opinions below!

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small colonies. I notice lighting effects them as well. Each kind prefers different spots in the tank. My Bam bams are mid level moderate flow, and are growing the fastest. I would say a new polyp every week. My fire & ice prefer higher up in the tank, higher flow. Granted when my darn turbo snail doesnt push them down to the sand ( i need better glue) .... Scrambled eggs, mid section of tank, grow very slow. Anyway, I have what you consider a 'dirty' tank. I do water changes, dose AB+ ,Substrate sauce PNS, and target feed reef roids 1 or 2 times a week. No skimmer.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Leave them alone. Glue them somewhere and don't move or mess with them.
2. Give them plenty of light. People underestimate the amount of light zoas need. They can survive in low light but they love good amount of light.
3. Feeeeeed them. Sprinkle some benepets once in a while.

You will see that all those things don't apply to just zoas. They apply to any corals.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like any coral stability wins.
Mine like high light lower flow. I do not feed but they get plenty from fish food.

Also no filefish as I found out they like them, lol. Well at least mine does so I moved the rock to a differnt system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We all have heard the saying "zoas love dirty water", and while they do thrive in tanks with higher nutrients, what do you think is the key to zoanthid health and growth? Iodine dosing? Spot feeding? Amino acid dosing? Or just plain old dirty water. Share your opinions below!
Proper light and water flow and iodide in the water which they convert to iodine within

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glue em to a rock and put the rock on the sand, and I leave it alone.
In a year I have a beautiful zoa dome.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back