Increased feeding increased calcium and alkalinity uptake. Tank running too lean?

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tank suffers from running too lean since I can’t seem to grow hard corals. Parameters: N03 usually < 1PPM and PO4 < 0.05PPM The reason it got that way is a long story but I recently I have doubled my feeding and started adding 1PPM daily NO3 via Sodium Nitrate Solution. All the sudden my stable calcium and carbonate consumption really ramped up while my NO3 and PO4 levels have been stable. I’ve also seen a healthy copepod population finally pop into existence.

Is this a sign that I have been underfeeding and if so should I continue to increase my feeding until I start to see a jump in my NO3 PO4 numbers? I could also decrease the efficiency of my chaeto refugium.

Livestock in 35gallon tank with 20 gallon sump.

3 chromis
1 Clown
1 Firefish
1 Dwarf Angelfish

Current Feeding:

10 am: Pinch of Dried small pellets
5 pm: ½ Frozen Cube, 1/16th TSP Reef Chili, 1PPM NO3

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. The theory makes sense to me. Following to see what others have to say. #reefsquad

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I continue to increase my feeding until I start to see a jump in my NO3 PO4 numbers?
I'm not sure I'd personally use this as an indicator. I can't really think of a specific reason, but it just rubs me as the wrong way to do things...
If I were you, I'd hold the feeding where you have it now. Give the tank time to settle into the new resource level. Wait for the Alk/CA to stabilize (and adjust dosing if/as needed). See if you are getting the growth you desire. Slow and steady.

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd personally use this as an indicator. I can't really think of a specific reason, but it just rubs me as the wrong way to do things...
If I were you, I'd hold the feeding where you have it now. Give the tank time to settle into the new resource level. Wait for the Alk/CA to stabilize (and adjust dosing if/as needed). See if you are getting the growth you desire. Slow and steady.

Good idea to keep it slow. Don't want to overshoot my target.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the same. I was using Ca reactor, 2 Part, and ATO with Kalk or Fresh water just to keep up with my 450g system of SPS dominant system. I keep my Alk between 8.5-9 dKh and Ca 425-465, Mg 1280-1350.

I feed pellets 4x/day via autofeeders and frozen at night to keep my NO3 12-25 ppm and PO4 0.02-0.05.

If need be I'll add 30ml of Potassium Nitrate. I also run 1 cup of biopellets too.

SPS and LPS has been doing awesome but seem still too clean for my 4 clams.
Attached are some photos of my SPS from last night.
7fd1dfb308c0808fe1b5b3f5dec67aeb.jpg
4df2283d74952c4b452522408fe139db.jpg
6d8419ff2b36fb5092f4111501e4ee07.jpg
b6d4005428d2b6ca908b49b03dd8b59b.jpg
c1dde0cb3ab191bb2d5050e5a049a742.jpg

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the reason I have religiously kept my tank way below those nitrate levels is because in the first year my tank was operating I had a terrible GHA outbreak. It took me years to figure out that some GHA just has to be tediously manually removed to be eradicated even if you have a starved tank. Now that my tank 4 years old, more stable, and I finally learned how to defeat GHA, I figure I can loosen up on my nitrate levels and hopefully grow sps again.

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your feeding situation now? @Chris Villalobos

Pretty much like I said in the original post. I have some Acropower (amino acids) coming from BRS. Plan to dose it each day also. I'm still hard pressed to move my NO3 and PO4. Latest reading 2ppm NO3 and 0.03 PO4... I may have to start feeding even more.

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag is looking good so far. I'm keeping NO3 above 2ppm and PO4 is around 0.04PPM. I've added a pinch of food at around 8PM also. Plan on getting an automatic feeder so I only need to remember the one big feeding after work.

Acro12.19.18.jpg

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NO3 has crept up to 5ppm and my Alkalinity consumption has stabilized at 7.6 dkh so I think I'll reduce my feeding. I had added a third feeding at 8 pm but I think I won't implement it and I'll also stop dosing Sodium Nitrate to see if my tested NO3 begins to fall.

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received an Eheim auto feeder. I'm able to place it on a shelf above my tank and have it set to feed small amounts three times a day rather than just trying to have my wife throw some food in on her lunch break. Really works well and I may have overfed today showing it off. :eek:

The lime green acro is still looking good. I'm hopeful I finally figured out my "brown thumb" when it comes to corals.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back