Increasing KH of top off RO water

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO top off water is 2 dKH. What is the best way for me to consistently increase it? Should I be using kalkwasser or could I just dose with Foundation B from Red Sea?

My calcium usually is around 450, so I also don't want that increasing too much.

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO water should be 0 dkh, what is you TDS meter showing

Why do you want to increase dkh of your top off water?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm realizing how stupid this question is so thanks for your patience.

Thought behind my question is obviously the top off water is slowly lowering my alk ahead of any usual dosing to the tank. So is there a way to get ahead of the alk drops from the top off (not from general coral usage, etc.)?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm realizing how stupid this question is so thanks for your patience.

Thought behind my question is obviously the top off water is slowly lowering my alk ahead of any usual dosing to the tank. So is there a way to get ahead of the alk drops from the top off (not from general coral usage, etc.)?

Top off water is not lowering your alk. The water evaporates but the alk is left behind in this sense. So if you matched your alk of your top off water to your tank, you would be wildly overdosing alk to your tank and probably be next asking why your alk is 20.

Alk in top off water should be 0. The fact that yours reads 2 means something is in it or the test kit is off.

If alk is decreasing in your tank, something in the tank is consuming it such as coral.

OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off water is not lowering your alk. The water evaporates but the alk is left behind in this sense. So if you matched your alk of your top off water to your tank, you would be wildly overdosing alk to your tank and probably be next asking why your alk is 20.

Alk in top off water should be 0. The fact that yours reads 2 means something is in it or the test kit is off.

If alk is decreasing in your tank, something in the tank is consuming it such as coral.

Got it. I didn't realize the alk would be left behind when evaporating.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back