Indonesia’s coral ban ?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
slewrock1 those are mariculture not wild. He was talking about wild corals.

Wild corals wont be for a while if ever in Indo and know one knows their future yet other than specualtion. Anything can change on a whim though.

They are just allowing some mariculture corals for now. They are going to be really regulated and do not have a way of policing allot of corals yet.

Maybe DR Mac can chime in on what he is hearing. He is probably the closest to the situation here than anyone.

I have seen (online) fiji soft corals again for sale from one vendor in Canada. I would be happy to just get a new really yellow leather.

Places can say they are from anywhere and most places really have no idea where their actual corals come from. They order corals from a wholesaler who sends them what they got.

Fiji is not shipping corals. Walt is shipping aquacultured man made rock again though.

Matter of fact we will probably now see Indo counterfeit corals.

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Places can say they are from anywhere and most places really have no idea where their actual corals come from. They order corals from a wholesaler who sends them what they got.

Fiji is not shipping corals. Walt is shipping aquacultured man made rock again though.

Matter of fact we will probably now see Indo counterfeit corals.

Lots of places in Canada import their own corals. I think it's more common then in the US because there is no wholesalers alley or whatever you call that street in LA. This is not to say a lot of smaller or boutique stores don't purchase from wholesalers but there is a lot of direct importing. I'm not as active these days since I live in the middle of no where and corals are way more expensive now then in years past but many times I'd take home corals and fish in Indonesian boxes, fish boxes from Philippines ect. Either the foam with newspapers from those countries inside them or the actual boxes, although I think usually most stores would black out the actual address but they'd have airport stickers ect. I probably still have some in my shed somewhere (too cold to go check).

I don't remember exactly when but sometime Walt did start shipping soft corals again in 2019. I *think* the US is excluded but I can't recall the reason. He definitely did post something on facebook. I scrolled back for a bit, had firefox crash then scrolled back again and I did find this post. There definitely was something earlier in more detail but check out his page if you want more info.

waltsmith.jpg

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags, seriously???

That's a joke especially when most of those corals you can get frags from reef hobbyists right on this site that have already been in their tanks for years.

I don't see anything special in those pictures.
he has a small store past Sacramento I've been once walked in and out.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of places in Canada import their own corals. I think it's more common then in the US because there is no wholesalers alley or whatever you call that street in LA. This is not to say a lot of smaller or boutique stores don't purchase from wholesalers but there is a lot of direct importing. I'm not as active these days since I live in the middle of no where and corals are way more expensive now then in years past but many times I'd take home corals and fish in Indonesian boxes, fish boxes from Philippines ect. Either the foam with newspapers from those countries inside them or the actual boxes, although I think usually most stores would black out the actual address but they'd have airport stickers ect. I probably still have some in my shed somewhere (too cold to go check).

I don't remember exactly when but sometime Walt did start shipping soft corals again in 2019. I *think* the US is excluded but I can't recall the reason. He definitely did post something on facebook. I scrolled back for a bit, had firefox crash then scrolled back again and I did find this post. There definitely was something earlier in more detail but check out his page if you want more info.

waltsmith.jpg

You are right.. They can ship soft corals from Fiji collected in some locations just not to the U.S.A.
Soft corals do not fall under cites I believe.
That makes me wonder why they can no go to the U.S.A. then.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very intrested in follow up answer to rock

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul have you gone and seen any new Indo shipments? I know Candy Corals has brought in Indo. I even saw a big al's location post about it too (forget which one). I would guess most of the other regular reef shops in GTA have either brought in or in the process of....
Hey Andrew, how are you doing buddy? Indo shipment ? ... no and as far as I know no one in the GTA has Indo coral shipment arrivals or announcement yet. Not sure how Candy Corals is able to acquire an Indo shipment ...? Fish is possible but corals ... no news nor have I seen any yet. Not from RR, Fragbox or NAFB .... hhmmm

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andrew, how are you doing buddy? Indo shipment ? ... no and as far as I know no one in the GTA has Indo coral shipment arrivals or announcement yet. Not sure how Candy Corals is able to acquire an Indo shipment ...? Fish is possible but corals ... no news nor have I seen any yet. Not from RR, Fragbox or NAFB .... hhmmm
Plenty of wholesalers have been bringing in indo corals the past few weeks, mainly trachy, meat coral, frogs and torchs.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious on the amount of species they are allowed to ship so far. I heard 9 from a friend who owns a shop but that could have changed or just been miss information. I would die if I was a big shop that ordered 10-20 boxes and I got only 9 species to fill them!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Obviously not as close as I once was, but I have seen Candy Corals post 2 different indo shipments so far. Check out this piece :

1580580673651.png

This is obviously a maricultured piece with the tag and plug of old.

I can't recall which big al's location but at least one posted indo shipment as well. I would guess RR is in on this too by now maybe some of the others as well. Get out and check out the shops. Not sure if you shop at Candy Corals but it's definitely top tier. Only been once since its 7+hrs from me but for you it's a lot closer and worth checking out + hitting everyone else in the area...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes are coming in in limited supply rt now but are on ground in usa!!!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back