Indonesia’s coral ban ?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are probably too big to qualify for export now. It's good for the reef though.

They can only be used for restoration now, because there were strict size limit on qualifying export. Frags that grown too big can't be exported even before the ban.
The key word there is "were". We have no idea what the new regs would be. I'm sure the growers will try to negotiate something for all those corals they've been growing out for a year and a half.

I don't know enough about the old regs, is it possible to cut those grown out corals to the proper size for export?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Coral is definitely far from self-sustaining for the number of people in the hobby today. I think a lot of people tend to underestimate how long it really takes to grow coral out, without fragging it even. Start cutting them up regularly and it's excruciating lol. Believe me.

At Rap this weekend we asked to a few vendors.
It seems most SPS there were aquacultured and most LPS were wild. One guy was talking Scolys and said they are 100 percent wild because they are near impossible to frag.
Zoas were about 50/50.

The only places that were 100 percent aquacultured I talked to were selling sps and Zoas.

We would defiantly loose diversity.

That was the whole purpose of my aquaculture system. It was to preserve some of these corals and inverts that may disappear from the hobby. I am looking for stuff that is harder to aqauculture and the larger places would not do it or just stuff they do not want to bother with. I also want to do inverts that may disappear eventually. Basically I am looking at stuff no one wants to do because it is not profitable.
Eventually it will all be banned it is just a question is where will the hobby be at the time.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Coral is definitely far from self-sustaining for the number of people in the hobby today. I think a lot of people tend to underestimate how long it really takes to grow coral out, without fragging it even. Start cutting them up regularly and it's excruciating lol. Believe me.

You know another thing is people do not realise the cost involved in aquaculture either.
Everyone thinks these corals should be cheap. I can not believe the cost for my little system.
Then you have to compete with everyone with a frag tank in their basement.
Aquaculture is not easy.
Same with tank raised fish and the cost of bring them up.
Some places are getting ridiculous in price though and doing a disservice to the hobby. There is already starting to be back lash towards some of these places.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fingers are crossed. The hobby is half as fun with these sites closed.
With prices for corals especially euphyllias going off the charts, yeah no fun at all.

Promising update. Getting some lobbyist in there and some campaign contribution will change his mind.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Indonesia was genuinely concerned about the reefs , they would be better off to stop polluting so much . Look at Indonesia on the globe ( small isn’t it ? ) they are the world’s number 2 polluters . Second only behind China. Indonesia pollutes so much it is measured in metric tons @ 3.3 million metric tons per year . In fact they polluted more each year than the Europe and the USA combined and some .
just thought I would kick that out there , I’m shutting up now.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s going to work out honestly. I can’t wait either.
the problem for me is... my tank is packed. I don't want to dabble with MC pieces again (unless there's something SUPER worth buying and me chopping off the bases) OR if they allow wilds to be exported again and someone gets something worth getting. I'm content, I guess.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about getting the right people paid, not about Indo suddenly caring about things... at least this is what it has always been in the past. This is not the first time that this has happened and only a few places, like the Marshalls (lots of nice stuff from there) stuck to their guns because it was about the reefs for them.

There is no argument to be made that mari stuff does not harm the reefs, so follow the money when simple and smart things do not work out...

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With prices for corals especially euphyllias going off the charts, yeah no fun at all.

Promising update. Getting some lobbyist in there and some campaign contribution will change his mind.
So true. Euphyllias have gotten ridiculous lately. Hope to see more reasonable prices available to us all again soon.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Indonesia was genuinely concerned about the reefs , they would be better off to stop polluting so much . Look at Indonesia on the globe ( small isn’t it ? ) they are the world’s number 2 polluters . Second only behind China. Indonesia pollutes so much it is measured in metric tons @ 3.3 million metric tons per year . In fact they polluted more each year than the Europe and the USA combined and some .
just thought I would kick that out there , I’m shutting up now.
Indonesia also has a massive population sandwiched on some comparatively small islands. They don't have the luxury of the greener alternatives available to significantly larger, richer, and more developed countries like the US.

CRookSkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm so stoked if this is really going to open back up. I wonder if those crazy prices on Indo dragon soul will go down once it does open up.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about getting the right people paid, not about Indo suddenly caring about things... at least this is what it has always been in the past. This is not the first time that this has happened and only a few places, like the Marshalls (lots of nice stuff from there) stuck to their guns because it was about the reefs for them.

There is no argument to be made that mari stuff does not harm the reefs, so follow the money when simple and smart things do not work out...
Agreed!
Man I remember the Marshall island rock of the late 80's early 90's. That stuff had so much life it. It was incredible! Every day I could find something different on the rocks.
We used to joke that it glowed at night since they set off alot of nuclear devices there in the past.
Ahhhh the memories.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices on the really nice stuff are not going to move. It is not like there were millions of orange or gold torches coming in all the time for cheap - there were some, but they were always expensive even ten years ago.

If you want to pay a premium for a name, then they are priced OK. It is not like they are hard to grow, so they should go down in value over time.

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that a New Orleans LFS has had its CITES permit approved for a Bali shipment.

Awesome news from Indo! The coral ban has been lifted!! Our Official CITES have been issued to Aquatic Sealife for first shipments leaving Bali! Look for shipments to arrive by late December or early January! Enjoy the attached eye candy photos!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back