Indonesian Cultured Corals are Back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices will come down eventually. No, not to the levels they were before the ban .. I think a year to a year and a half to come down to good levels. Some may try to hold prices but there are also going to be some that will lower prices and cause a downward pressure. Lower prices means more sales.. eventually everyone will hop on the bus and prices will drop more.. (see Gem tang as an example)

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vendors didn’t like this on FB lol

7116CB99-2603-42E7-8547-812732536F6D.jpeg

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Large investments in aquaculture facilities might take a little longer to pay off.

Supplies and coral availability should definitely improve. No matter what, it wont be less than now.

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were never $50/head anyways. It will probably level back out to around $100/head though
Luckily I have my coral guy who will most likely charge $50 a head or less for that torch, because he knows he shipped it in at less than $25 a head. He has been in business for over 20 years, with the same mentality. He sells low, but he sells at a high volume.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 a head for a torch similar to HG . Why has the price of a common aqua cultured aussie gold gone from 150 to 300 ph? Prices will go down but not dirt cheap. The Indonesians have families to feed also I'm sure their cost wont be the same

Bill Bolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Torch mentioned, then 100 bucks a head.... I have got to see one of these!! I used to give the stuff away!!

eLReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really good news.. but I wonder if aussie Corals will now be harder to get with all the fires that are still burning

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main driver of price increases are due to perceived rarity, more desirable coloration, and marketing. Most coral does not fall into those categories.

Online forums, blogs, and etc.. have helped perpetuate many of these conventional "wisdoms" of what is hot, desirable, and in demand which allows vendors to take advantage of uneducated consumers. Thus high prices.

Most of the acropora from Indo is quite boring. It deserves very little premium unless you wish to discuss the size of the examples which differs greatly from the frag mentality we see so often today. The same goes for aussi acropora.

In summary do not expect prices to fall for the items people "want and desire the most". People are "sheep like" in this hobby when taken as a whole and will all follow the lead of the trend setters as they come and go. Trend setters being certain vendors, hobbyists, bloggers, and etc...

For the more common corals that many do not give a second look at due to the influence and power of the internet will come down drastically in price if Indo can grow them out within the new rules being developed today.

My two cents. I am not sure what people are expecting from this to be honest. When the majority all want 15% of what is being imported why would you expect prices to decline?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any truth to this or is it more fake news like last year and a publicitiy stunt to grab attention?

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my price lists today and it’s cheaper to buy Aussie than Indo, expect to see that once Everyday $50 torch to be $200 or more at retail.
Even the other LPS are stupid expensive, acros are 30-60 per frag (whole sale price meaning $90-$180 retail), and as expected no colonies.

Hopefully the prices go down but seeing as people are paying stupid money for named corals that where once common cough cough (dragon soul, holy grail) I doubt they will drop any time soon especially with how limited the export stock is!

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i kind of got into reefing as the indo stuff was being banned, what kind of corals will become available again? or is it just a general price decrease everyone is hoping for

Keith Burns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news. I have been looking and waiting to find some really nice colored Indo Dragon Soul Torches at a reasonable price. While I'm hoping the opening of Indo will make some of these rarer corals more available I hope they manage the industry there better so they don't close again, and the wild reefs and farmers there are better protected.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of anything is dependent on supply and demand. It’s been like that since the beginning of time. The only good thing about this, is the fact that with a larger selection of corals to chose from, demand for some common corals will go down now.

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as long as more stores buy corals from Indo or any other place it will create a competition for costumers. And slowly but surely the price will start to go down as who ever have the best price will Win the costumers . So is up to us the costumers to decide if we going to let the price keep going up . Think smart

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back