Indytraveler's 90 gallon Reef!

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I've been around for about a year, running a 54 gallon corner reef. Its been a good platform for learning, but in the end not really the system I wanted. The shape, and my failure to get a reef ready system (no sump) has haunted me from day 1.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200129183221349_COVER.jpg

Today I placed an order for a 90 gallon marineland system complete with tank, stand, canopy, sump, return pump and plumbing. My lfs ships and installs such a system for free, leaving me with just heater, skimmer, lights and additions/upgrades to everything that goes in the tank.

Its going to take 3-4 weeks before it arrives, leaving me to concentrate on a few things, in addition to buying the equipment above:

1) Evaluating how much of the old tank will migrate, and what may be removed completely. (livestock included)

2) Picking a substrate that isn't as awful as the "live crushed coral" I currently have.

3) Building an aquascape that I like, and gives me plenty of room for coral.

This will be mostly a nem, lps and softy build, with mostly smaller fish, possibly a Tang or foxface, and plenty of inverts, with my goal being a colorful system full of movement and varied forms of life.

I'm not going with a "budget" system per say, but I don't have the money to go high tech, so my goal is to buy good, solid equipment and remain a bit "old school". I've also got to be wary of space, so everything for this system must be self contained in either the stand or canopy.

I'll try to update frequently and take you through my process as I build what will hopefully be one awesome reef!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For substrate I recommend Tropic eden reef flakes or even the smaller mesoflakes . depends how much flow you want to run. Also congrats on getting a new tank!

Lighting reefbreeders photon v2+ great lights and will grow anything

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For substrate I recommend Tropic eden reef flakes or even the smaller mesoflakes . depends how much flow you want to run. Also congrats on getting a new tank!

Lighting reefbreeders photon v2+ great lights and will grow anything
Appreciate the advice. What makes you reccomend the tropic eden, if I may ask?

I have had significant issues with lots of cloudiness with my current substrate whenever it's slightly stirred up, despite the "no rinse" instructions.

I love the lighting suggestion, but sadly out of my price range!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice. What makes you reccomend the tropic eden, if I may ask?

I have had significant issues with lots of cloudiness with my current substrate whenever it's slightly stirred up, despite the "no rinse" instructions.

I love the lighting suggestion, but sadly out of my price range!
I just like the look and it stays put in the flow. I don't rinse my sand, so I just stir periodically and catch the cloud in a filter sock... doesn't hurt anything. If you rinse it I'm sure it would be cloud free!

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the look and it stays put in the flow. I don't rinse my sand, so I just stir periodically and catch the cloud in a filter sock... doesn't hurt anything. If you rinse it I'm sure it would be cloud free!
How is it for burrowing fish? I was debating on going with Fiji sand or something like that, as I thought it would be good for burrowing wrasse?

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I've got a basic idea on aquascape, which I've drawn out below. Red is existing live rock, blue would be fresh baserock.

IMG_20200131_114832.jpg

In the middle is an existing "bridge" in my current system. Ideally I'd just pull it from my system and place it in the new one.

On the right, I want to take base rock, silicone it together and have a higher, taller structure.

On the left would be a lower, loose stacking of existing live rock stacked with space between it and stable enough to not need attached.

Obviously a rough sketch, but the idea being rocks in different levels of the water column that offer different types of light and shelter for different critters, while still trying to have sort of an island effect with plenty of swimming space. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I think I have everything on order. My lfs actually got a used sump in so I'm saving $100 by going that route. He tried talking me into saving another $100 by going with a used tank, but I've had terrible luck with them, so I passed on that.

Tank should be at the lfs on Wednesday, stand, canopy and sump are there waiting.

Ordered another 40 lbs of dry rock to bring the total system to about 90-100lbs of rock. I ordered a 2nd vivarspectra black box, as I think 2 should be sufficient for an lps system.

I went with a Jebao SCP-90 wavemaker, which seems like it should good enough power without destroying my wallet. Ordered a 400w titanium heater, another bucket of salt, an LED grow light for the fuge, and tons of other little stuff.

Interestingly enough, this will be a dual build, as the 54 gallon system will be cleaned out and converted to freshwater for African cichlids. If anyone is interested in that at all, I'll throw up some build picks of that too.

I think that's it for now. About $1200.00 of stuff coming in... (What did I just do???)

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the second major superstructure is born. I'll place this on the left side of the tank, with the live rock arch taking up the right 2/3 of the tank, all loosely joined by other pieces of live rock.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200202171532657_COVER.jpg

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the anticipation builds! I called the lfs and they said that the aquarium did arrive today, but that I'll need to call tomorrow to talk to the guy that delivers. In the meantime, the supplies continue to build:

15809490170401140636089086325350.jpg

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally forgot... It's 24 degrees out and I didn't have any saltwater mixed. I usually mix it in the garage... So after some begging I was allowed to take over part of the kitchen and get water warming up!

IMG_20200206_215716.jpg

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the big day! Delivery is scheduled in 4 hours, and I'll be working through the afternoon to try and get this thing up and running before the day is out.

I'll be posting frequently (as close to a live thread as I can) and probably drinking while doing it. So.... Enjoy!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back