ineffective ich QT while at therapeutic level

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got two tangs in my 40b quarantine - They are on day 14 of QT, at 2.5 PPM of copper power. Yet, today, my purple tang broke out with dozens of ich spots. I have been dosing metro every 2 days with the copper power. Confused here as to how this can occur, when the water is at therapeutic levels. Any advice on where to go next? Tangs were just about to go into the main display (I knew they had ICH from a prior tank).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following too, but just as a side note 14 day qt is not long enough. Also, metro probably won't help with ich (I asked Jay Hemdal and it's not listed anywhere as a possible treatment). But I do like api general cure (metro and prazi) as part of a qt regimen.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of my two clowns (both in QT together) get Ich *after* 30 days in copper, so it's possible it was something else. In any case, I ended up doing Humble Fish's Hybrid Tank to Tank and either that, or just the additional time, cleared everything up. In fact, going forward, I'm likely to use that method instead of a normal copper QT. While a normal QT is certainly easier, Hybrid Tank to Tank cuts the time in half.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of my two clowns (both in QT together) get Ich *after* 30 days in copper, so it's possible it was something else. In any case, I ended up doing Humble Fish's Hybrid Tank to Tank and either that, or just the additional time, cleared everything up. In fact, going forward, I'm likely to use that method instead of a normal copper QT. While a normal QT is certainly easier, Hybrid Tank to Tank cuts the time in half.
Good call on HumbleFish TTMs, I stopped using copper when I came across his ick/ velvet TTM stuff and haven’t lost any fish since. Given the prevalence of haphazard copper use by the distributors and the LFSs, I think we’re really going to see copper resistant ick and velvet in full force in the coming years.
Not to mention the therapeutic levels for ick and velvet are just below the lethal levels for the fish.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have been battling the worst Ich outbreak of my life in my biggest DT. So far, Formalin, Hyposalinity (1.009) for 2-weeks, 40,000 uW/cm2 UV at 1+ system volume/hour, nothing short of copper has worked. I just prepared a copper hospital tank yesterday and expect to start transferring fish tomorrow. We'll see if this strain of Ich is copper resistant, although I expect it is, because almost all these fish came from FO tanks that were originally running copper before they were moved to the DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got two tangs in my 40b quarantine - They are on day 14 of QT, at 2.5 PPM of copper power. Yet, today, my purple tang broke out with dozens of ich spots. I have been dosing metro every 2 days with the copper power. Confused here as to how this can occur, when the water is at therapeutic levels. Any advice on where to go next? Tangs were just about to go into the main display (I knew they had ICH from a prior tank).
Copper Power, like Coppersafe, often takes 30 days to completely eradicate ich. I never use 14 days for these two products, 30 is always safer.

What test method are you using for the copper?
As others mentioned, are you certain it is ich and not mucus plugs that tangs often get when being dosed with copper?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have been battling the worst Ich outbreak of my life in my biggest DT. So far, Formalin, Hyposalinity (1.009) for 2-weeks, 40,000 uW/cm2 UV at 1+ system volume/hour, nothing short of copper has worked. I just prepared a copper hospital tank yesterday and expect to start transferring fish tomorrow. We'll see if this strain of Ich is copper resistant, although I expect it is, because almost all these fish came from FO tanks that were originally running copper before they were moved to the DT.

Sorry to hear hypo didn't work for you, but I usually run that for 30 to 35 days.

I'm not convinced there is any such thing as "copper resistant" ich - I think there are copper treatments that are done improperly, and I know that severe cases of ich will kill fish faster than copper has time to work, but genetic resistance to a toxin is a pretty tall order for a protozoan...it would take many generations, if it even is possible.

What copper product are you going to use, and how will you be testing it?

Jay

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a hanna checker for testing.
Just did a water change, and trying to get some photos. Water being pre-dosed with copper at therapeutic levels. And confirmed level after change at 2.5.
Let me work on these photos and reply.

OP
OP
K

kvosstra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responding back here - I kept the course and all 3 tangs are out of QT and into the display now. I think the issue was simply coloration due to poor foods. Revamped food options with more Nori and added selcon into foods to improve nutrition. Nice to see my tangs into their permanent home now.

Back