Inertiatic's Red Sea Reefer 250 Mixed Reef "Rebuild"

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out my Red Sea Reefer 250 “rebuild!” This build started because of the need to replace a 55 gallon tank that sprung a leak in January 2020. My 55 gallon was an upgrade from a 26 gallon during a move back in 2013. In total, this tank has been going for 8 years now and has been through some major issues and learning moments. Some examples include a newly added fish wiping out all of my existing fish, bubble algae completely taking the tank over (which turned it into a FOWLR), and then the failed seam. I’ve learned a lot over the years and I’m excited to turn my tank back into a reef.

I was ready to hand in the towel and just give away my fish to a good home and get out of the hobby. Luckily my wife convinced me otherwise and I'm back in the thick of reef keeping.

Due to the sudden nature of needing to find a replacement tank as quickly as possible, I did not have a lot of time to plan a full build. I gravitated towards a Red Sea Reefer because they looked sleek and we’re ready to go out of the box. Thankfully all of my inhabitants survived the fiasco, but they were all crammed into a temporary 20g tank. I knew I needed a tank delivered sooner rather than later and bought the Reefer 250.

I was able to seed my new dry rock with some of my old live rock. Using that and Biospira, my tank cycled in just over a week. I then started adding my inhabitants one at a time and then the pair of clowns last over a month.

Fish
Lemonpeel Half Black Hybrid Angelfish
Tomini Tang
Onyx Clownfish Pair
Six Line Wrasse (in QT)

Inverts
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Giant Turbo Snail (6.5 years old)
10 gallon CUC /w hermits from Reef Cleaners

Equipment
Tank
: Red Sea Reefer 250
Sump: Stock 11g running dual 225 micro filter socks
Refugium: Kessil H80 Tuna Flora growing Chaeto
Lighting: Red Sea Reef LED 90 x 2
Return Pump: Reef Octopus VarioS-4
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Essence S-130
Flow: MP40 /w Battery Back-Up
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155 /w Innovative Marine 5 Gallon Reservoir

Lessons I learned and mistakes I made to serve as a reminder to myself throughout this build
  • Pay up and buy quality equipment from the start instead of paying more by upgrading later on
  • Stability is key and held in the highest regard
  • Defer to keeping my hands out of the tank when possible
  • Don’t panic or over react to problems, sometimes trying to fix things with more changes just makes the situation worse
  • Quarantine every fish, even if just for observation for a few weeks
  • Test regularly as needed and log the results
  • Stress can be a major livestock killer
  • Not all advice is good advice
  • The reefing scene and technology has changed a lot, don’t stop learning

Initial Shot
IMG_1332.jpeg

Current Equipment
IMG_1421.jpeg

Everyone Transferred Over and A Few Corals Added

IMG_1352.jpeg

My Crazy Clowns
IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

Tomini Tang
IMG_1417.jpeg

Most Recent Tank Shot (Sorry for the blurriness)
IMG_1411.jpeg

Next Steps and To-Dos

• I think my Zen Reef Frag Rack order is lost in the abyss due to COVID, need to replace my temporary frag rack. It's great, but is just huge for my size tank
  • Get fake frag plug rock in the tank for my Zoa garden
  • Start looking into dosers
  • Clean up coords and organize equipment
  • Get better at taking photos

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

OP
OP
I

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some new frags from AquaSD this morning. I'll snag some photos tomorrow once I get the new frag rack in.

The single MP40 has proven to be difficult. I have it set to reef crest with a max intensity of 50%. Once I start getting into the 70 to 80% range, the MP40 starts moving way too much sand. The problem with this is that I have a crazy current in the open water that the MP40 directly points towards; it is quite funny when the fish ride in it. Even though there is "a lot of flow," it is very concentrated and there are some spots with much tamer flow.

I originally was going to get two MP10s, but I read such conflicting reports from other Red Sea reefer owners. Some say their MP10 driver would not stay on the glass and vibrate while others said they had no issues at all. To be safe, I decided to go with a single MP40. I know we will be upgrading to a larger tank once we buy a new home and leave our smaller condo, so I figured a MP40 would have long term value. Plus I figured I would address flow once coral started to grow and fill out the tank.

I figured getting a MP10 to go with the MP40 might be a bit imbalanced, any thoughts? If I go with two MP40s, any other Reefer 250 owners out there with experience on placement? With two MP40s paired together, I'll be able to lower their intensity and get a flow pattern, but I'm not sure where optimal placement is. Sides pointing directly at each other, sides pointing at each other, but slightly offset, both on the back glass facing forward?

This is my first time investing in Vortechs and trying to control their power has been difficult. I've always had a bunch of cheaper powerheads in my tanks and it is much easier to add and place them because they don't move water like the Vortechs do.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some new frags from AquaSD this morning. I'll snag some photos tomorrow once I get the new frag rack in.

The single MP40 has proven to be difficult. I have it set to reef crest with a max intensity of 50%. Once I start getting into the 70 to 80% range, the MP40 starts moving way too much sand. The problem with this is that I have a crazy current in the open water that the MP40 directly points towards; it is quite funny when the fish ride in it. Even though there is "a lot of flow," it is very concentrated and there are some spots with much tamer flow.

I originally was going to get two MP10s, but I read such conflicting reports from other Red Sea reefer owners. Some say their MP10 driver would not stay on the glass and vibrate while others said they had no issues at all. To be safe, I decided to go with a single MP40. I know we will be upgrading to a larger tank once we buy a new home and leave our smaller condo, so I figured a MP40 would have long term value. Plus I figured I would address flow once coral started to grow and fill out the tank.

I figured getting a MP10 to go with the MP40 might be a bit imbalanced, any thoughts? If I go with two MP40s, any other Reefer 250 owners out there with experience on placement? With two MP40s paired together, I'll be able to lower their intensity and get a flow pattern, but I'm not sure where optimal placement is. Sides pointing directly at each other, sides pointing at each other, but slightly offset, both on the back glass facing forward?

This is my first time investing in Vortechs and trying to control their power has been difficult. I've always had a bunch of cheaper powerheads in my tanks and it is much easier to add and place them because they don't move water like the Vortechs do.
@Inertiatic I don't have any experience with Vortechs but if your kicking up sand, that's enough flow in my opinion, especially in a Reefer 250. Even with only 50% of maximum flow.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting the Reefer 250, you will like it a lot. I have the Red Sea E-260 which is similar. I knew to go with quality initially as I saw some friends tanks that were not good quality that they had major issues with. I have the Maxspect GI currently dose the Aquaforest Component 1-2-3 and Red Sea Reef Energy AB+. So good luck on your build!!
IMG_20200324_1751315.jpg

OP
OP
I

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting the Reefer 250, you will like it a lot. I have the Red Sea E-260 which is similar. I knew to go with quality initially as I saw some friends tanks that were not good quality that they had major issues with. I have the Maxspect GI currently dose the Aquaforest Component 1-2-3 and Red Sea Reef Energy AB+. So good luck on your build!!
IMG_20200324_1751315.jpg

Gorgeous tank, how long have you had this running?

I'm enjoying this tank a ton, the build quality is great. Especially after coming from a standard Marineland 55.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out my Red Sea Reefer 250 “rebuild!” This build started because of the need to replace a 55 gallon tank that sprung a leak in January 2020. My 55 gallon was an upgrade from a 26 gallon during a move back in 2013. In total, this tank has been going for 8 years now and has been through some major issues and learning moments. Some examples include a newly added fish wiping out all of my existing fish, bubble algae completely taking the tank over (which turned it into a FOWLR), and then the failed seam. I’ve learned a lot over the years and I’m excited to turn my tank back into a reef.

I was ready to hand in the towel and just give away my fish to a good home and get out of the hobby. Luckily my wife convinced me otherwise and I'm back in the thick of reef keeping.

Due to the sudden nature of needing to find a replacement tank as quickly as possible, I did not have a lot of time to plan a full build. I gravitated towards a Red Sea Reefer because they looked sleek and we’re ready to go out of the box. Thankfully all of my inhabitants survived the fiasco, but they were all crammed into a temporary 20g tank. I knew I needed a tank delivered sooner rather than later and bought the Reefer 250.

I was able to seed my new dry rock with some of my old live rock. Using that and Biospira, my tank cycled in just over a week. I then started adding my inhabitants one at a time and then the pair of clowns last over a month.

Fish
Tomini Tang
Onyx Clownfish Pair
Six Line Wrasse (in QT)

Inverts
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Giant Turbo Snail (6.5 years old)
10 gallon CUC /w hermits from Reef Cleaners

Equipment
Tank
: Red Sea Reefer 250
Sump: Stock 11g running dual 225 micro filter socks
Refugium: Kessil H80 Tuna Flora growing Chaeto
Lighting: Red Sea Reef LED 90 x 2
Return Pump: Reef Octopus VarioS-4
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Essence S-130
Flow: MP40 /w Battery Back-Up
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155 /w Innovative Marine 5 Gallon Reservoir

Lessons I learned and mistakes I made to serve as a reminder to myself throughout this build
  • Pay up and buy quality equipment from the start instead of paying more by upgrading later on
  • Stability is key and held in the highest regard
  • Defer to keeping my hands out of the tank when possible
  • Don’t panic or over react to problems, sometimes trying to fix things with more changes just makes the situation worse
  • Quarantine every fish, even if just for observation for a few weeks
  • Test regularly as needed and log the results
  • Stress can be a major livestock killer
  • Not all advice is good advice
  • The reefing scene and technology has changed a lot, don’t stop learning

Initial Shot
IMG_1332.jpeg

Current Equipment
IMG_1421.jpeg

Everyone Transferred Over and A Few Corals Added

IMG_1352.jpeg

My Crazy Clowns
IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

Tomini Tang
IMG_1417.jpeg

Most Recent Tank Shot (Sorry for the blurriness)
IMG_1411.jpeg

Next Steps and To-Dos

• I think my Zen Reef Frag Rack order is lost in the abyss due to COVID, need to replace my temporary frag rack. It's great, but is just huge for my size tank
  • Get fake frag plug rock in the tank for my Zoa garden
  • Start looking into dosers
  • Clean up coords and organize equipment
  • Get better at taking photos
Great setup there mate! I have a reefer 250 but I went down the carbon dosing road instead of fuge. I have had good success with two nero5s on the back wall but I have no sand. I’m sure you will do great

EA4D5455-B22D-4BDF-AA9B-4C41A2A09EDB.jpeg

OP
OP
I

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquamaxx 23 hole frag rack came in, I really like it a lot so far. I ordered a second MP40, hoping to get a more random and dialed down flow with two.

I've been doing so much alkalinity testing that I started using a Hanna Checker and wow is it quick and easy. I've been testing my alkalinity daily and dosing small amounts daily or every other day. I seem to be consuming about 0.25 dKH a day right now, 2 ppm of calcium, and 0 magnesium. I'm not sure why I'm consuming more alkalinity right now.

Here are some photos of the new additions that came in on Wednesday from AquaSD. They are not the best, still haven't figured out photos. I'll have to give my wife's DSLR a go.

Start of the zoa garden

IMG_1435.jpeg

Mini Scoly with my six line in the background. He's out of QT and already doing great in the DT. I was surprised how little aggression there was from my other fish, they can be real jerks.

IMG_1436.jpeg

Two new acans at the bottom

IMG_1441.jpeg

Some new SPS. I accidentally broke the birds nest when scraping algae off the frag plug during dipping.

IMG_1442.jpeg

OP
OP
I

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup there mate! I have a reefer 250 but I went down the carbon dosing road instead of fuge. I have had good success with two nero5s on the back wall but I have no sand. I’m sure you will do great

EA4D5455-B22D-4BDF-AA9B-4C41A2A09EDB.jpeg

Thank you! Yours tank is looking great, I love those torches. Euphyllia have always been some of my favorite corals, hoping to get some more for my reefer. I really wanted to try bare bottom this go around, but it wouldn't have been fair to my pistol shrimp.

How do you have the nero5s on the back wall programmed? I was thinking of trying my mp40s there.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank, how long have you had this running?

I'm enjoying this tank a ton, the build quality is great. Especially after coming from a standard Marineland 55.
I have had it running 16 months now. My anemones keep splitting so now I have 5 California Rainbows. I got one off the rocks into a breeder box and going to put it up for sale.

IMG_20200326_1845474.jpg

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I bought ONE a year and a half ago for daughter's 10g and now there's the 5 in my tank and 3 in her E-170! Did some research and when nems are happy, they split!!

OP
OP
I

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Inertiatic how big is that six and a half year old giant turbo in inches may I ask? And where did you get the hybrid angel, online I hope? I love it !!!

I wish I measured him when I transferred back into the DT. He has to be around 3.5 to 4 inches. I took a picture of him and his handy work. Those frags are all knocked over due to him. The plugs on the ground are the 1.5 inch diameter plugs I believe. The round portion protruding portion of his shell is about the size of most turbo snails I see when they are first purchased. Next time he is on the glass Ill get a ruler, haha.

Edit: Forgot to answer your angel question. Got him from a LFS store actually, only time I've ever seen one in a store. There is a great store from my old town I grew up in. Whenever I visit my parents, I usually stop by to see if they have anything interesting in stock.

IMG_1452.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Inertiatic must be almost as big as an adult's fist? How do like your Essence 130 skimmer? I almost bought one. I had several skimmers in mind and if my Reef Octo Elite 150sss is too big I'll get the Essence.

Back