Inexpensive but beautiful fishes.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed them?,how hard to keep them healthy?
I feed them Masstick and frozen food mix in the AM, pellets on auto feeder 3X throughout the day. Panta Rhei Sponge & Panta Rhei pellets 1-2 times per day and usually frozen mix again in the evening.
They have eaten Masstick since a few minutes after arrival.

I have almost no SPS in the tank. They need to be fed heavily and often, but otherwise they have been super easy and very hardy. Here they are a few minutes after feeding.

Kalipanther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Royal Gramma.
Absolutely. I have 2. Sometimes they yell at each other. They have plenty of caves. I just worry if I add more fish they might not get along anymore. Meet Ra and Mau Egyptian Gods ~ true Royalty of my tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 45

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you all do me a favor and go ask your LFS who they purchase their fish from to be able to sell them for these prices!

With just the cost of international freight fees I'm paying an average of around $40 a fish out of Indo. Just shy of $600 per box once it actually gets to me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Gobies are beautiful (And I’d rather not go into having 3 fish that total to £300 in the bank like I do in my 4’ tank haha) and often overlooked due to some of them being extremely common, my LFS has a D. griessingeri in now and I’m trying to not see it until my leopard and naoko are too big for my nano haha.
Well… this failed, if he’s still there in a day or two, I’ll be grabbing him. Unfortunately I can’t put him in this thread as a cheap fish since he’s £98, £85 is the best deal I got offered for him.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are arguably the most colorful fish in the hobby. They are called psychedelic fish but if you didn't live in the 70s you may not know what that is. :rolleyes:

They sell here in New York for about $20.00 or $30.00

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellow wrasse, $20

0CB89069-FB59-4D3D-927D-D0A68FBB4DFD.jpeg
LfS had a yellow corris wrasse for $120. I didn't buy it. Another LFS I usually prefer never seems to get them in stock. Petco told me they can order them for me (more like the $50 price range) but they never make it in alive. Then I ended up driving to the neighboring state to pick them up at NY aquatic. I got 2 on 2 seperate occasions... all 4 died from Uronema. :(

KevyKevTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Cheap Fish: coral beauty, carpenters wrasse, & scooter blenny.
We just got a carpenter's wrasse today, it's still acclimating! Absolutely beautiful fish. I intend to get a (male) McCosker's eventually, I hope they get along! But they seem a bit rare, never seen one in a store, and in the pretty limited searching I've done online, not much either, so I guess they're kinda rare...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got a carpenter's wrasse today, it's still acclimating! Absolutely beautiful fish. I intend to get a (male) McCosker's eventually, I hope they get along! But they seem a bit rare, never seen one in a store, and in the pretty limited searching I've done online, not much either, so I guess they're kinda rare...
Mccoskers are the second most common flashers to find IMO, look in the right places and season and they’re flooding the LFS’s. I regret passing up this beautiful McCoskers but know I’ll probably find a similar coloured one in the future. It was an african but had the blue dorsal fin instead of black.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my fish last year so can't speak to any potential price increases since then but...

$27 each: Two black ocellaris clowns. They were in with a shipment of mixed but mainly regular occys and were pretty orange so I was sold them as regular occys. They are now black with white stripes and just a touch of orange on the face.

I want to say around $30? Tailspot blenny. I think he was similarly priced to my clowns, so prob under $30, but 100% under $50.

The first thing everyone says about Marvin, my blenny, is that he's not colorful. I think ppl assume SW tank = kaleidoscopic fish, and get disappointed when that expectation isn't met. He does have some neon stripes on his face. But either way he is the goofiest, most fun fish I've ever had. The clowns are lovely, too -- I think having them as little babies helped to shape the way they are now in the tank.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t own one currently but have in the past. Royal grammas are one of the prettiest fish imo and are pretty cheap.
Took me 17 years in the hobby to finally add one. When I bought I said to my girl I don't know why I've never added one in the past. Such a vibrant and beautiful fish for sure!

Back