Infected mushrooms

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

What type of infection are mushrooms prone too? I have an outbreak that took out most of my mushrooms however all other corals are ok. They start out appearing to bleach in the end they just melt. Doesn't seem like my OG will make it. I've tried dipping them in chemiclean, reef primer, cipro and nothing worked. The placement of the shrooms are in different areas also. How do I get rid of this infection. I started collecting shrooms knowing is the hardiest of corals but whatever this infection is, took all of them out. TIA.

20220416_095832_resized.jpg 20220416_095819_resized - Copy.jpg 20220413_172735_resized.jpg 20220413_172644_resized - Copy.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

What type of infection are mushrooms prone too? I have an outbreak that took out most of my mushrooms however all other corals are ok. They start out appearing to bleach in the end they just melt. Doesn't seem like my OG will make it. I've tried dipping them in chemiclean, reef primer, cipro and nothing worked. The placement of the shrooms are in different areas also. How do I get rid of this infection. I started collecting shrooms knowing is the hardiest of corals but whatever this infection is, took all of them out. TIA.

20220416_095832_resized.jpg 20220416_095819_resized - Copy.jpg 20220413_172735_resized.jpg 20220413_172644_resized - Copy.jpg
I know @LRT @F i s h y @Lost in the Sauce have had good luck with cipro dips for sick shrooms. Hopefully they can chime in with some advise.

I know the dosage is 250mg to a gallon of water for 2-3 hours, as a dip. I have done this a few times and it helped, but not much experience, as all my comes with nems and treatment.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Unfortunately the question "What type of infection are mushrooms prone to?" Is One that we (scientifically and hobby) do not have much information about.

May I ask is the infection only attacking one type? Do you have any ricordea or discosoma that are also affected?

Both @LRT and myself have found that in a full, stable, balanced system, Sometimes an infection can come in and Only affect certain types of mushrooms.

For example, I lost 20+ Ric's over the course of a few months from an unknown killer. Same system, different tanks, lighting, flow, same water. This ONLY affected Ricordeas.

Much like yours they would start shrinking, Then bleach out, Then slowly melt. I know LRT has dealt with something similar, but with rhodactus mushrooms.

I personally have not found either a Cipro dip, or 10-day broad dosing to the entire system to be effective.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Unfortunately the question "What type of infection are mushrooms prone to?" Is One that we (scientifically and hobby) do not have much information about.

May I ask is the infection only attacking one type? Do you have any ricordea or discosoma that are also affected?

Both @LRT and myself have found that in a full, stable, balanced system, Sometimes an infection can come in and Only affect certain types of mushrooms.

For example, I lost 20+ Ric's over the course of a few months from an unknown killer. Same system, different tanks, lighting, flow, same water. This ONLY affected Ricordeas.

Much like yours they would start shrinking, Then bleach out, Then slowly melt. I know LRT has dealt with something similar, but with rhodactus mushrooms.

I personally have not found either a Cipro dip, or 10-day broad dosing to the entire system to be effective.
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it's affecting both ricordea and discosoma. Not sure what all the different types are but in my collection I had Eclectus, OGs, Frankensteins, neptunes, sunkists, mardi gras, dead pool, uraniums. I'm thinking it started with a purchase of some rainbow ricordeas, they were the first ones that started bleaching and they were at the bottom of the tank. The green mushrooms were at the top of the tank which is why i say placement wasn't the issue. Attached are the pics of my green shrooms, OG, and sunkist when all was going well. The green shroom colony is now down to four. My OG is still feeding but it's basically all white. So do i just keep dipping in chemiclean and hope for the best and just stay off shrooms for a while until whatever it is that's killing them goes away without a host? :( TIA.

Attachments

• greenmush.jpg
    greenmush.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 39
  • OG2.jpg
    OG2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 52

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it's affecting both ricordea and discosoma. Not sure what all the different types are but in my collection I had Eclectus, OGs, Frankensteins, neptunes, sunkists, mardi gras, dead pool, uraniums. I'm thinking it started with a purchase of some rainbow ricordeas, they were the first ones that started bleaching and they were at the bottom of the tank. The green mushrooms were at the top of the tank which is why i say placement wasn't the issue. Attached are the pics of my green shrooms, OG, and sunkist when all was going well. The green shroom colony is now down to four. My OG is still feeding but it's basically all white. So do i just keep dipping in chemiclean and hope for the best and just stay off shrooms for a while until whatever it is that's killing them goes away without a host? :( TIA.
So those are mostly discos and rhodi, not ricordeas.

If you've tried Cipro, You could try baths with a different profile. Antibiotic. I'm not smart enough to tell you where to go at this direction.

Unfortunately it seems We are kind of in the same boat. People know it's happening but we don't know why or how to fix it yet.

I would love to be wrong here and somebody dropped some knowledge and the magic pill. I've got 2 ric's left I can still try to save.

@MERKEY have you ever used or modified the Merkjuice coctail for shrooms?

Btw, we're green mushroom garden homies.
PXL_20220403_041047228.jpg

Dan Ponchak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive experienced similar.

Only with some rhodactis bounces though.

Never discosomas or ricordeas.
Chin up. Keep everything as constant as possible. Pic on left about a year ago. One on right,…now. Have faith. Good luck.

Attachments

• 1BFCDA14-1E01-4DD4-B7E0-947D9E04566A.jpeg
    1BFCDA14-1E01-4DD4-B7E0-947D9E04566A.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 92F4C8FC-78FF-496E-9BB2-820BC2C39D51.jpeg
    92F4C8FC-78FF-496E-9BB2-820BC2C39D51.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 67

Dan Ponchak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No treatment, just lots of tlc, and kept parameters as stable as can be. Checked placement, flow, then left it alone. Patience and prayer. Good luck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back