Infesting coral (similar to xenia)

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was sure I had some Xenia going wild I'm my tank, but i thought it was a tough variety. I've had Xenia before and it was easy to frag it by holding that base and pulling gently.

This one is completely different. It sticks to the rocks and it is very hard to remove. It is invading all my rocks. Today I noticed that the polyps are very different from Xenia. They are smaller and without feathers. Can you help me identify it? And do you know how to get rid of it? Thanks a lot

20200513_165929.jpg 20200513_165919.jpg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It resembles alveopora, but I don't think it is.
Do the polyps 'pulse' like xenia?
1589382512552.png

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1589391533970.png
1589391560296.png

Does it look like this "Waving Hand, Thick Stem" (Xenia sp.)?
Thanks but no unfortunately. Mine is growing very low and it hasn't got the feathers. It has also smaller polyps and less clustered together.

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I just wanted to bump this thread because it is getting worse. It is infesting all the rocks. It doesn't seem to hurt the other corals luckily. Can someone tell me what it is and how to "defeat" it? Thanks guys

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I just wanted to bump this thread because it is getting worse. It is infesting all the rocks. It doesn't seem to hurt the other corals luckily. Can someone tell me what it is and how to "defeat" it? Thanks guys
No idea what it is but have you tried applying a kalk paste onto it or something to try and smother it?

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is but have you tried applying a kalk paste onto it or something to try and smother it?
It has spreaded too much now. I have it on almost all rocks. I'm trying to inject vinegar and it is working but I noticed that small pieces can detach and grow in another place.

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh that's ugly if i remember correctly if you dont have any other softies Fenbendazole should kill it all

Wow never heard of that. I have a couple of sarco, some zoa's and a sinularia. I could bring them in another tank. Would they die too? Thanks man for the great suggestion! :D

They are clove polyps.

Nope sorry they aren't. They are very different. Clove polyps has more individual polyps while these grow more like a colony. It looks way more like an alveopora, but without the skeleton! Thanks anyway :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow never heard of that. I have a couple of sarco, some zoa's and a sinularia. I could bring them in another tank. Would they die too? Thanks man for the great suggestion! :D

Nope sorry they aren't. They are very different. Clove polyps has more individual polyps while these grow more like a colony. It looks way more like an alveopora, but without the skeleton! Thanks anyway :)
It’s a variety of sarcothelia they grow in mats

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im thinking short stem non flowerpot goniopora

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, I would love to have some for the puffer tank lol. They may not be able to eat it fast enough.

Nalini Akolekar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue clove polyps are a nightmare. I’m on round two of fenbendezole and my tank is a shadow of its former self.

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys sorry bump this old threads, but I couldn't find a way to kill it. It's on all rocks and it's impossible to kill. Do you have any idea? I can confirm it's not blue clove or sarcothelia. Can you help identify it at least? I have other soft corals so I can't use products on the entire tank. Thank you so much.

Back