Inflated eye????????

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias has an inflated eye!!! What's happening?
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal do you know what this is?
20210623_133108.jpg
20210623_133102.jpg
20210623_133052.jpg
20210623_133050.jpg

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm what about inverts like urchins snails and shrimp?
Inverts should be fine. It's not terribly uncommon for popeye to clear up on it's own thru good diet. It can sometimes be caused by lesions, but generally is just a bacterial infection of the eye. I personally always try to take the natural approach vs medicine at first.

OP
OP
TuxUrchin07

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts should be fine. It's not terribly uncommon for popeye to clear up on it's own thru good diet. It can sometimes be caused by lesions, but generally is just a bacterial infection of the eye. I personally always try to take the natural approach vs medicine at first.
Could maybe being stung by zoas be a cause? Yesterday at night one of my anthias was staying on top of my zoa... the anthias that got affected is the one that only eats mysis

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could maybe being stung by zoas be a cause? Yesterday at night one of my anthias was staying on top of my zoa... the anthias that got affected is the one that only eats mysis
I am not sure to be honest. Soaking the mysis in fish vitamins (seachem vitality) would be the best bet, Prazipro isn't a for sure treatment, it has just worked for me in the past. This could have also just been the fish fighting the infection on its own.

OP
OP
TuxUrchin07

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure to be honest. Soaking the mysis in fish vitamins (seachem vitality) would be the best bet, Prazipro isn't a for sure treatment, it has just worked for me in the past. This could have also just been the fish fighting the infection on its own.
Ok I'll do that. I have searched vitality so I will try it. Hope it turns out good

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll do that. I have searched vitality so I will try it. Hope it turns out good
It may get worse before it gets better, but dont panic, the fish can handle some bit of it. I have definitely seen much worse cases. If it is only affecting one eye that is a good sign, likely a lesion of some sort that caused it if it only affects one eye, in my opinion.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from work - sorry, but no, Prazipro is not indicated for this malady. Prazi is specific for treating certain metazoans (flukes). There is one fluke that causes cloudy eyes, buy not exophthalmia like this in just one eye.

Vitamins won't hurt (as long as they are the water soluble ones) but they aren't a treatment for this either.

We see this a lot in anthias - it is usually due to mechanical damage. Unless it gets infected, there is no treatment.,...it either resolves on its own or it doesn't. Handling the fish to move it to a treatment tank can actually cause more mechanical damage. If you do see signs of infection - increased swelling, redness, the other eye becoming involved, then you would want to take the risk and move it to a treatment tank and dose with erythromycin (Maracyn 1).

Here is a link to an article I wrote on fish eye health:
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-the-eyes-have-it-a-review-of-eye-health-in-aquarium-fishes/

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a school of anthias and as mentioned by Jay, two I believe were due to micro-bubbles along with injury/scrape to eyes and they tended to dart into rocks when startled.
They are very touchy with both tank transfer especially since a net itself can injure their eye and medicating. I actually did nothing as long as they were eating and increased the type of diet for them and in a few weeks it subsided and returned to normal. One did get it again and repeating the same it went to normal and never came back.
bacteria can be another cause and maintaining GOOD water quality will minimize the risk of bacteria.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back