Inhabitant for 2.5 gallon macro algae tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any critters I should put in my macro tank? Currently the only inhabitants are copepods. I know pretty much all fish are out, might some sort of invert create some waste/nutrients for the algae?

image.jpg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any shrimp small enough to keep/breed in this sort of set up? (my shrimp experience is mostly freshwater. . . so not sure how viable breeding salty shrimp is)

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add some sand and a cave than later get a yasha goby and Randall pistol shrimp pair

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any shrimp small enough to keep/breed in this sort of set up? (my shrimp experience is mostly freshwater. . . so not sure how viable breeding salty shrimp is)
There are definitely shrimp small enough to keep and possibly breed in this set up (though raising the young would be a whole different beast).
To list a few:
-Thor amboiensis (the "Sexy Shrimp" - cleaner shrimp)
-Hippolyte zostericola (Rusalty's "Green Lantern Shrimp" - herbivorous shrimp)
-Gnathophyllum americanum (the "Bumblebee Shrimp" - eats starfish and other echinoderms like Harlequin Shrimp, but they don't seem to require starfish for survival like Harlequins do)
-Gnathophyllum panamensis (the "Orange Spot Anemone Shrimp" - apparently a cleaner shrimp, but also similar to G. americanum in that they will eat but don't require echinoderms)
-Microprosthema semilaeve (the "Lima Shrimp" - these guys often live commensally with Flame Scallops)

There are more options than just these out there (including some species of pistol shrimp that don't pair with gobies), but these ones are relatively readily available in the hobby, and all of them would - to my knowledge - be a good size for this tank.

Back