Inherited a 55 Gallon Tank

cmacinnes34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, new member and first post here.

I recently inherited a 55 gallon tank with some existing corals, anemone and clownfish. The tank sustained for years and has done quite well with the small amount of aquatic life in there.

Just wanted a basic assessment of what, if any, improvements can be made at this point in regard to the placement of our wave maker and lighting. He had a Kessil Blue Tuna, but unfortunately that died a few days ago and we replaced it with the AI 32HD.

I did bump the soft coral on the right and think it may not be too thrilled with me at the moment.

Attached are some pics, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6368 2.jpg IMG_6369.jpg IMG_6370.jpg IMG_6371.jpg IMG_6372.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

What are the dimensions of that tank? Is it an AIO (All in One)? It’s a little tough to figure out what I’m looking at, but I’m gathering it is ‘tall but narrow,’ which can be a challenge. Best wishes with it, and remember to have fun! :D

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, new member and first post here.

I recently inherited a 55 gallon tank with some existing corals, anemone and clownfish. The tank sustained for years and has done quite well with the small amount of aquatic life in there.

Just wanted a basic assessment of what, if any, improvements can be made at this point in regard to the placement of our wave maker and lighting. He had a Kessil Blue Tuna, but unfortunately that died a few days ago and we replaced it with the AI 32HD.

I did bump the soft coral on the right and think it may not be too thrilled with me at the moment.

Attached are some pics, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6368 2.jpg IMG_6369.jpg IMG_6370.jpg IMG_6371.jpg IMG_6372.jpg
Lots of possibilities with your unique tank!

Couple thoughts:
-good idea adding wavemaker to help circulate the tank, just keep an eye on your nem below it.
-with the back wall you could grow a carpet of green star polyps (depends on your view of gsp)
-or you could use small magnetic frag racks that look like rock to stair step coral up
-I’d probably add a few more strategic pieces of Liverock (not too big) to vary the heights of your coral
-going from a tuna blue to a hydra 32 is a big difference, depends on how intense you have it, but I’d keep eye on how your softies and nem react and adjust accordingly
-are you all set on a tank maintenance plan?

:) congratulations and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
cmacinnes34

cmacinnes34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

What are the dimensions of that tank? Is it an AIO (All in One)? It’s a little tough to figure out what I’m looking at, but I’m gathering it is ‘tall but narrow,’ which can be a challenge. Best wishes with it, and remember to have fun! :D
Appreciate it! Yeah it's been fun, a bit frustrating with trying to build a nice aquascape, so we're going to try some magnetic frag shelves to go up the back. Take advantage of the height.

The tank is 35'' wide, 10'' Deep and 22" tall, is an all in one.

OP
OP
cmacinnes34

cmacinnes34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of possibilities with your unique tank!

Couple thoughts:
-good idea adding wavemaker to help circulate the tank, just keep an eye on your nem below it.
-with the back wall you could grow a carpet of green star polyps (depends on your view of gsp)
-or you could use small magnetic frag racks that look like rock to stair step coral up
-I’d probably add a few more strategic pieces of Liverock (not too big) to vary the heights of your coral
-going from a tuna blue to a hydra 32 is a big difference, depends on how intense you have it, but I’d keep eye on how your softies and nem react and adjust accordingly
-are you all set on a tank maintenance plan?

:) congratulations and welcome to R2R!
Appreciate the input Wen. The BTA loves the wavemaker. It's a real good size and has been set in that spot for about a month now without moving.

We have some, what I believe may be polyps growing on the front of the tank, we were going to try to scrap it off carefully and try to get it on the back of the tank. We also took your advice and ordered a couple magnetic frag displays to go up the back.

So far the soft coral has been doing great with the new light. We downloaded a recommended custom setting and added a lunar mode to it, so it's been less intense and gives the coral a bit of breathing room.

Yup, we're good on a maintenance plan, we just may have to adjust soon as we added a six line wrasse and a shrimp, so has had a bit more waste than the tank is used to. Other than cleaning more frequently, we have noticed more green algae than normal, so we may need to adjust.

Thanks again for the input

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rub-it-in (lol), but is it 10" deep 'plus' the back AIO chamber, or does the width of the back chamber have to be deducted-- so essentially 7-8" for fish to swim? Just curious.

OP
OP
cmacinnes34

cmacinnes34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rub-it-in (lol), but is it 10" deep 'plus' the back AIO chamber, or does the width of the back chamber have to be deducted-- so essentially 7-8" for fish to swim? Just curious.
I measured the swimming space, so it's 10" of swim, plus 4" in the back chamber, so 14" total

Back