Inherited a disaster, very excited!

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inherited a disgusting 32 biocube. Had nothing but a carbon filter in it for almost 2 years.

Came with 2 clowns, gramma and 7" Engineer Goby.

Currently changed filtration to a in back refugium, added chaeto and filter floss.

Currently nuking the cyano with chemiclean.

Can't wait to get this bad boy up and running. Might yank all the sand out and replace.

20210718_120657.jpg

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inherited a disgusting 32 biocube. Had nothing but a carbon filter in it for almost 2 years.

Came with 2 clowns, gramma and 7" Engineer Goby.

Currently changed filtration to a in back refugium, added chaeto and filter floss.

Currently nuking the cyano with chemiclean.

Can't wait to get this bad boy up and running. Might yank all the sand out and replace.

20210718_120657.jpg
Just pull the sand and rinse it. Then add it back. :)

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool project. Its nicely stocked with fish at least. I can't believe they ran with no real filtration for two years. The refugium and chemiclean should help a lot
I shocked as well, I know they battled one plague after another. Hopefully the chaeto makes an impact.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano was unbeatable.

Added skimmer, added bio balls, dosed bacteria, frequent water changes, added a ton of macro, nothing worked. Decided to take prior advice and rip out all the sand and replace it with fresh sand. Also reduced fish stock down to 1.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you for taking this on!

Ever considered a rip clean? This is where you take the fish out and put them in a separate bucket, take all of the rock and sand out, and then wash it very thoroughly. This will get all of that nasty cyano out of there.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you for taking this on!

Ever considered a rip clean? This is where you take the fish out and put them in a separate bucket, take all of the rock and sand out, and then wash it very thoroughly. This will get all of that nasty cyano out of there.
I rinsed the cyano off the rock, set it in a bucket. Reduced the fish count to 1 since I thought it was overstocked. I also replaced all of the sand and siphoned in residual crud that settled back down with a 70% water change. That should do it. If not idk.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed the cyano off the rock, set it in a bucket. Reduced the fish count to 1 since I thought it was overstocked. I also replaced all of the sand and siphoned in residual crud that settled back down with a 70% water change. That should do it. If not idk.
Sounds good. I would get rid of the engineer goby, but keep the 2 clowns. (They look like they are already a bonded pair, so splitting them up might not be a good idea)

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I would get rid of the engineer goby, but keep the 2 clowns. (They look like they are already a bonded pair, so splitting them up might not be a good idea)
I kept the valentini puffer and got rid of the engineer goby, pair of clowns and gramma. All to the same home.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have two build threads under my profile so I don't lose this thread but I'll keep you all posted.
Put a link to this thread on the first page of your main build friend so that people can get to it easier.

Cool takeover! Treat it right and it will pay dividends.

With how that was all looking I would probably pull the rock out as well and give it a very thorough scrubbing with a hard bristle brush, then a power washer. You don't want all the accumulated crud leaching into the water for the next few months. Since you already ripped clean the sand might as well get rid of the nasties the rock will be holding also.

Following along.

Back