Inherited/Established 120g Tank - Dayton, OH

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

We inherited this tank (and ALL of the contents) for ridiculously cheap. It wasn't our initial plan of "going slow and steady and building from the ground up"...but the deal was too good to pass up. Yeah, yeah...I know you've all heard that before.

Summary:
-120g with stand and lid
-3 Smartfarm LED lights (unlabeled and trying to figure out what type they are as we speak)
-Protein skimmer
-Fluval FX6 filter
-Lots of back up heaters, pumps, API testing kits, and other random equipment
-Livestock: 20+ snails (variety), 1 horseshoe crab, 1 blue tang, 1 scopus tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromic, 1 fox face rabbitfish, two columbian sharks and one Indian mud eel.

We got everything moved into our place without much issue.

Initial water testing seemed good, very high nitrate levels but when we took a sample to our LFS they were actually great.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes so far and here goes!

IMG_7041.jpg

OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are now working through some issues:
1) We are currently dealing with some aggression from the blue tang towards the sharks and so may be getting rid of the sharks to a friend soon (we don't really want them anyway). Did all the usually recommended stuff, moved rocks around, overfeeding, removed the fish and re-introduced them, etc. without much luck so far....
2) No sump...the person we bought the tank from said "he doesn't believe in sumps...and never had any issues with this set-up as is." We do think we want to add a refugium but given the tank isn't plumbed we have two options: A) empty the tank and drill for plumbing...no fun or B) do a hang-on overflow but the risks of flooding seems like more anxiety than I am willing to deal with...open to any thoughts/feedback if anyone has any!

OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

We sent the eel and sharks back to the LFS where they were originally purchased. Our blue tang would NOT leave them alone. Now there is peace.

Well...until...

We likely have some ich now...going to do the TTM and hope for the best!

OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we did a thing...got a little adventurous with our DT while our fish are in QT...drilled! It was our first time drilling glass so all sorts of thoughts raced through our heads but thanks to a tarp we were able to keep things very clean and prevent water from going everywhere! Now we are setting up and getting our sump ready while we wait our the rest of QT time.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump plumbed! There was a lot of learning involved here but we are excited we did it! We need to still stabilize the PVC obviously...

Attachments

• image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 17
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We successfully ended QT with our fish, no casualties...and they are certainly happy to be in the larger display tank.

We purchased a blue tuxedo urchin to add to our DT (and dipped per protocol posted on here).

We also purchased two Bengaii cardinals and one green clown goby which are currently in QT. The goby is being very finicky with eating and so we are just going to wait that out based on all the forum advice on the topic. Onward!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kreisinger87

kreisinger87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many updates...tank has been growing but sadly haven't had time to update here since we have a new baby and all.

We lost one of the Bengaii during the first few days of QT but the second and clown goby have been transferred to the DT. Rarely see the goby now but when we do he appears to be doing well.

We lost the urchins...they likely starved as we weren't ever direct feeding them. Lesson learned. Will definitely be trying them again though as they are a very interesting addition.

We have added some coral (after a full QT): green star polyp, ultra FL ricordea, blue man discosoma mushroom, aussie pipe organ and rainbow ring rhodactis. All seem to be growing and doing well.

Today we picked up some more inverts that are now in QT including a tiger conch, a lot more snails (netrites), two condy anemones, and a cleaner shrimp. We will see how well these anemones behave...after the QT is up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back