Inherited Reef Tank 200 g

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inheriting a 200 gal reef tank with sump, equipment, 23 corals and anemones, live rock, shrimp, two fish, etc.

In order to move the tank to my home we transferred the corals and livestock to a friends tank temporarily. Tomorrow we plan to move the tank, filters and set up at our house. My question is whether I should add the live rock right away and approx. how long a bacteria cycle will take to reset Before I can start adding corals again. Since all the filter equipment, sand, and sump materials are already loaded with bacteria, I anticipate that I should have a quick reset. Any thoughts? Any thing I’m not seeing in advance. I have experience with fish but this is my first leap into reef. Since I am inheriting a setup tank, I’m nervous about any learning curve, mistakes. Don’t want to lose an Awesome tank due to ignorance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wouldn’t be able to sleep !!!
CONGRATS !!!

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

If you are able to keep the rock in water, you could transfer it right into the tank, you shouldn’t have any cycle. If the rock has been out of the water a while, then you will need to do a complete cycle, 3-4 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Premix seawater in advance and do prepare to fill and set back up
Speaking of bacteria, do add some every 24 hours using such as Bacter xlm or Bacter 7

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use RO Water? Or can I simply condition tap water on the initial setup? I have A RO coming but it will take a long time to fill 860 liter tank and sump.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! after moving an established tank to my house, the guy selling it to me dumped a lot of salt on top of the wet live sand and live rock and turned up RODI to fill tank. He did this before I could stop him. When I saw it and protested he told me no worries...the salt will dissolve slowly and no risk to bacteria in live sand or rock. They can survive higher salinity, etc.

I pulled out the live rock immediately and put it in buckets with some of the water we saved from before moving the tank. (Where salt was on rock/sand, it was very hot). 12 hours later, my tank is still filling with RODI, salt still lying on live sand. I’m guessing salinity is very high, but who knows at what salinity? I’m guessing there have been pockets of RODI/salt water in different places.

What did salt or RODI do to live sand? What’s my best and worst case scenario as far as preserving any bacteria or critters in sand or rock? Does it matter? Most of rock is sitting in a bucket.. As I said, I pulled it out immediately, but had to rinse salt off with the incomng RODI to remove salt he had poured.

The sump underneath is established, bioballs, brick, filter media, etc. After tank fills in 12 hrs or so, I plan to check salinity before turning on sump. Even if all the bacteria in sand died, shouldn’t the sump bacteria be enough to restart this tank? Many other questions...

Thoughts?

(yes, I know the water should be mixed before hand. I didn’t do it and saw it when it was too late).

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always pull the rock out and put it in sum rodi water and then move to another pale of rodi then a good pale of salt mix

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep that rock in a tub with salt water from the original set up. With a power head in it... And as far as filling the tank. All your mix water should be made out of ro/di water. You don't condition tap water in a reef set up unless you want a potential disaster with parameters..

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank water is at 75 degrees. Rock already in buckets with powerhead/aeration to give oxygen. I will keep live rock separate in original tank water until salinity in new tank is up to speed. Sump water is original but I am adding some new water to keep bio balls under water.

Tank is filling with rodi and salt accidentally added. I will cycle with added bacteria once tank fills. Still one more day to go. Then hope the sump bacteria can get fires back up and deal with any die off. 4 rocks were left in the tank (I ran out of buckets), and were exposed to low saline water overnight.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why haven't you checked the salinity? Depending on where it is at will determine your course of action. It may not have been all that high. My guess it that you may at worst have a short cycle but get your test kits lined up.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is full, live rock added. I noticed to bubble head anenomes on the live rocks when I put them in the tank. . I should have thought to remove them first. Pretty sure both died in the transition / parameter chaos of moving a huge tank. Pieces floating in tank. Will they release toxins of some kind? Or will just ammonia, nitrites, nitrates spike extra in the re-cycling of tank. I was hoping to avoid toxins fatal to fish or corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back