Inheriting a bigger tank and I have some questions….

SuperNarwhal46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am probably going to be inheriting an active 75g tank with 2 old clownfish and some corals in it. It is about an hour away from where I live, and I was kind of wondering how I am going to move the tank/fish/corals into my house. I don’t have too much experience in the hobby, and I have a small 10g tank that I am fallowing after my last clownfish died from what was most likely ich. I am thinking if I do end up getting the bigger tank, I will make the 10g a QT. Any basic tips on how to keep a larger tank, how to keep corals, and how to move a tank?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just bag the coral/fish. Pack up tank/rock bring straight home. Keep livestock in bag but put in your 10g(lights off) to keep temp good. Then setup tank (make sure you got saltwater ready and to temp ahead of time). Fill with water slowly to stir up sand as little as possible(if it were me i would use new well rinsed sand). Within a few hours tank should clear up. Confirm salinity and temp and put livestock in. Its a lot to do in a day, but think this is least stress on livestock. Concentrate on essential setup(ie lights dont have to be setup first day... just proper salinity, flow, and temp).

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am probably going to be inheriting an active 75g tank with 2 old clownfish and some corals in it. It is about an hour away from where I live, and I was kind of wondering how I am going to move the tank/fish/corals into my house. I don’t have too much experience in the hobby, and I have a small 10g tank that I am fallowing after my last clownfish died from what was most likely ich. I am thinking if I do end up getting the bigger tank, I will make the 10g a QT. Any basic tips on how to keep a larger tank, how to keep corals, and how to move a tank?
Welcome to da reef!
Bigger tank will be easier to keep...Not sure on what condition it’s in but just take all LR out and put into buckets of tank water. I would remove most of sand. Move empty tank to new spot.Put a little old tank water back in tank... Put down your base rock. Put new sand/crushed coral in new tank. (Possibly old sand, someone might say don’t put any and someone might say keep all the old sand). Then fill tank with old tank water and new saltwater. Put your LR back into tank as your filling. Try and pour over something and slowly to try and keep the sand/crush coral from clouding the water column. Good Luck!

OP
OP
SuperNarwhal46

SuperNarwhal46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to da reef!
Bigger tank will be easier to keep...Not sure on what condition it’s in but just take all LR out and put into buckets of tank water. I would remove most of sand. Move empty tank to new spot.Put a little old tank water back in tank... Put down your base rock. Put new sand/crushed coral in new tank. (Possibly old sand, someone might say don’t put any and someone might say keep all the old sand). Then fill tank with old tank water and new saltwater. Put your LR back into tank as your filling. Try and pour over something and slowly to try and keep the sand/crush coral from clouding the water column. Good Luck!
I have heard that larger tanks are easier to keep. I am excited to actually have more space to aqua scape, add bigger fish, and add corals! Thanks for the info on moving. It will be a long process, but I am sure I can get it done. I will even have a QT for the future… A full setup!

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a longer 120 is kinda mtly dream.. although there's something about the shallow tanks that look awesome.. really kinda want one of those
Wrong reply on the wrong post. Someone get me coffee. When it comes to moving tanks short moves aren't too bad. I'd just get some buckets, but the fish in one, rocks and sand (if you're gonna reuse it) and corals in bags or something else that will keep them from banging around

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a 34g that was 1 hour from my house and it was my first saltwater aquarium.

1) Have plenty of extra saltwater handy and lots of 5 gallon buckets to transport everything
2) Extra helpers
3) Move early in day. Will take longer to transfer than you think.
4) Make sure you have pics of how to setup everything - rockscape, plumbing, sump, etc.

Good luck!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only difference between keeping a larger and smaller tank, is that you have to do larger water changes, more possibilities for fish, and longer times cleaning, and better, more expensive equipment. Other than that no difference.

I cant help you on moving the tank, but I can probably help you a bit on keeping corals.

Keeping corals is harder than keeping fish. They are more sensitive, and need more general care. You will have to do frequent water changes, and keep your tank clean.

It depends on which corals you have, but most you do not have to feed, or at least not often. Im saying this because when you go on vacation, that is something you dont have to worry about.

Do your research on what corals you have, research spacing, lighting, flow, etc.

Best of luck!

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased an active running Redsea tank, I arranged with the seller, was running when I arrived, took us a little over an hour to take down. Drove home approximately an hour away, set up everything, had buckets of new saltwater ready, tossed everything in and all was fine. Didn't loose a single coral or fish. The rocks were in multiple buckets covered with the tank water, the sand was also covered but I used a net to remove the sand, didn't add any of the old water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back