Inheriting a bigger tank and I have some questions….

BRS

SuperNarwhal46

View Badges
Reaction score
So I am probably going to be inheriting an active 75g tank with 2 old clownfish and some corals in it. It is about an hour away from where I live, and I was kind of wondering how I am going to move the tank/fish/corals into my house. I don’t have too much experience in the hobby, and I have a small 10g tank that I am fallowing after my last clownfish died from what was most likely ich. I am thinking if I do end up getting the bigger tank, I will make the 10g a QT. Any basic tips on how to keep a larger tank, how to keep corals, and how to move a tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

mdb_talon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would just bag the coral/fish. Pack up tank/rock bring straight home. Keep livestock in bag but put in your 10g(lights off) to keep temp good. Then setup tank (make sure you got saltwater ready and to temp ahead of time). Fill with water slowly to stir up sand as little as possible(if it were me i would use new well rinsed sand). Within a few hours tank should clear up. Confirm salinity and temp and put livestock in. Its a lot to do in a day, but think this is least stress on livestock. Concentrate on essential setup(ie lights dont have to be setup first day... just proper salinity, flow, and temp).

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
So I am probably going to be inheriting an active 75g tank with 2 old clownfish and some corals in it. It is about an hour away from where I live, and I was kind of wondering how I am going to move the tank/fish/corals into my house. I don’t have too much experience in the hobby, and I have a small 10g tank that I am fallowing after my last clownfish died from what was most likely ich. I am thinking if I do end up getting the bigger tank, I will make the 10g a QT. Any basic tips on how to keep a larger tank, how to keep corals, and how to move a tank?
Welcome to da reef!
Bigger tank will be easier to keep...Not sure on what condition it’s in but just take all LR out and put into buckets of tank water. I would remove most of sand. Move empty tank to new spot.Put a little old tank water back in tank... Put down your base rock. Put new sand/crushed coral in new tank. (Possibly old sand, someone might say don’t put any and someone might say keep all the old sand). Then fill tank with old tank water and new saltwater. Put your LR back into tank as your filling. Try and pour over something and slowly to try and keep the sand/crush coral from clouding the water column. Good Luck!

OP
SuperNarwhal46

SuperNarwhal46

View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to da reef!
Bigger tank will be easier to keep...Not sure on what condition it’s in but just take all LR out and put into buckets of tank water. I would remove most of sand. Move empty tank to new spot.Put a little old tank water back in tank... Put down your base rock. Put new sand/crushed coral in new tank. (Possibly old sand, someone might say don’t put any and someone might say keep all the old sand). Then fill tank with old tank water and new saltwater. Put your LR back into tank as your filling. Try and pour over something and slowly to try and keep the sand/crush coral from clouding the water column. Good Luck!
I have heard that larger tanks are easier to keep. I am excited to actually have more space to aqua scape, add bigger fish, and add corals! Thanks for the info on moving. It will be a long process, but I am sure I can get it done. I will even have a QT for the future… A full setup!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
BRS

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 96 40.5%
  • NO

Votes: 125 52.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 6.8%
Tidal Gardens