Initial fill questions - will this work?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: as I mentioned above, why ruin your return pump by pumping salt slurry through it and have it precipitate on in due to heat the pump generates. the sump doesn't have enough flow through to mix it well enough without sending undissolved salt though the pump

His mixing station pump is doomed I guess

:)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes saltwater can sit for days or even weeks.
Yes you can mix it right in the tank too. My only suggestion is to add it somewhat slowly and not dump it all in at once.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So you’re got a solid mixing station and you don’t want to use it?

Looks like you have two 35G tanks. So why not make 70G to start, make 35 RODI and drop it into your saltwater tank, and make another 35. Then mix 35 into salt, and add it to the tank. Empty the other 35 of RODI into your salt tank and start that. TM Classic will be fully mixed in less than an hour. So you’d have 70G as a starting point.

To your question, people store RODI and fresh saltwater all the time. What is your concern over letting it sit in the tank?
Thanks a lot - this looks like the winner idea I'll go with. You are right, I spent a lot of time building the mixing station so I need to use it to its fullest.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can take as long as you wish, circulating through sump is only needed to send water through the filter sock and to place unsightly accessories like skimmer, heater and so on. with livestock, it also adds oxygenation and additional circulation in display via return

Edit: as I mentioned above, why ruin your return pump by pumping salt slurry through it and have it precipitate on in due to heat the pump generates. the sump doesn't have enough flow through to mix it well enough without sending undissolved salt though the pump
Good point.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question - a haven't yet bought the hose to run from my mixing station to the display. Its 80 ft. Can I use a simple garden hose (with plastic fittings, not brass)? How about one of those collapsible flat hoses? Or should it be the clear vinyl hose?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question - a haven't yet bought the hose to run from my mixing station to the display. Its 80 ft. Can I use a simple garden hose (with plastic fittings, not brass)? How about one of those collapsible flat hoses? Or should it be the clear vinyl hose?

Get a drinking water safe hose. Or vinyl hose

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back