Initial Impressions on the Neptune Sky (Completely non-scientific!!)

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok, so to set this up, I ordered one of these on a whim. I was really curious what I would think about them first hand. There's so many opinions floating around that seem to be heavily influenced by either hatred or love for Neptune, so I just wanted to see for myself. For the record, I'm currently using and Apex on my tank, it does what I need, and I like Fusion better than the other management portals I've used.

Anyway, I got the Sky set up late yesterday, so this is really "initial" impressions. But that might be all I have as I'm thinking that I'll likely not be keeping it up for very long. You'll understand why in a bit.

So here's my thoughts so far. Please note: this is not a scientific review as I'm only expressing my opinions based on my needs/wants for lighting. There are many, much smarter folks than I who can, and have, provided those types of specific details.

Pros (for me, in my environment)
  • Seems to blend light well, no visible hot spots and shading didn't look too bad
  • Light looks nice over my tank (my better half likes how it looks, so that's a plus)
  • It has many default settings that can be set without tinkering with each channel (i.e. AB+, Neptune SKY, 7k-20k, etc.).
  • Coverage looks to be spot on with what they advertised, my tank is small, it's only a 40G breeder tank, but it did seem to cover well the 36" length
  • Super easy to set up, like almost "huh, am I done?" easy. Took less than 5 minutes to get it set, for me
  • Can be completely controlled from Apex Fusion (this is a pretty big selling point for me, as I work and travel a lot, and I rely on Fusion heavily)

Cons (for me, in my environment)
  • Light bleed, it seems to light up my whole room, and is very distracting (annoying) as my tank is next to my TV and relatively close to my couch, chairs, etc. Add that my stand it pretty tall at 41-ish inches, and it make it like I'm sitting under the light when sitting in my living room................not ok.
    • I'm sure part of this is intentional, so that it can have wider coverage, and if my tank was larger, or in a different location in my house, then it wouldn't matter and would be fine, but that's not the case for me
  • Mounting. I did get a Radion mounting bracket to mount it, and it works fine, but I don't like much weight prying/leaning against the glass as I prefer mounts that basically stand on the ends, as this puts all weight push straight down on the glass. I know I could have done some kind of rail DIY thing, or hang it from the ceiling, but didn't have the time for the rail and hanging was not a real option in this house.
The light bleed "con" for me is the killer. I'm not rearranging my house, nor moving the tank just for a light, so it'll likely not be there long. I don't regret getting it though, because now I have a much better understanding of this light, and it adds another light to the long list of ones I've tried (which I use compare and understand the pluses and minus of different styles).

Anyway, here's a couple of pics for comparison. I mean, who wants to read all this stuff with no pics? :)

Tank pre-Sky (with Reefbreeders Photon V2+)
Ui8wVndd-gAYS75QN3UsvDSiD6GkJrQJ1_l6NXhrQPxwCSwc22VdUUmzuyuMCr5Gz-GJaFWwHmgnxrBY76Fn4Thjin3a9EtYwjRXROn0K0hX_ryVb5FqAeizEvBAbp3UybLcd1hPxMKjyaTNPlwTXULbHE-US_ifoy_BqDuebIuftAbCv28GXxwJ_MOHbqt8HZJ2bUVDZIRUqWx08GgrUBdoZNF-bEUTVKpjC4aur_YEcbhd4dBUtCOv3ehK3rR81wfMdAdlp0S-P1fL16P84H1yBPmTNoE3vVjyZIh4uPdf4k9WwbDO0biOxe9VIzg4cB_6tCrjm4t1bOig5ksdtTrtByeYaVKhmhxdcszCe9N2zo5PG8nROUSRGp5ZnMZsnl1sowneUnC604CYIUG_IPlk8s5o5beqhd_DXpRE9Yzdn87AAHCVT0KgZzNeHsCqcQsQi7tmP7V_rQYYVniKkSXbqnNmytvRGetBrGxryllcc3ugdw7KDJAF5h-XtwNmBgDwZ9IMggesPc8g_CEAd5B_XvJrL4YVGcqPqRtq-y5esvTQ-lxv1x4FggDycBr544rdY_YQFHbxXb-FPuXrEZtNn0jiyPIqrU8JBy2wjSfIDsmigmCb1JiGfgfn16wXuFd4x53Qmqgm4UWd-1f9d-wIJOoxKSNB7jLxfiJL4mjrrW4nzNtrG3e2YWeTKtS5MVC-R4bn2H5gD3PDtUfZ3Oij=w2136-h1602-no

With SKY in Neptune Sky Mode
tJcds84dZd4U3VdkvZSio-aKS7VD5x8C16I3fUcsGEcO4DnyHJw7Ip6tRrH7yfb2Szzh5IxDxQZJizAi1bwZ_Czc_kQADNUM9w7bOmp6eI6rHt4kJSjkjqDL4H3c-UG3dYkLezDk9R5mHA-Hz7okVsXDAl2_iAAUklSypcn7YsRfWLPs6SztiHMNQbfAFAc4QBzpFsTQGLy2EHl4iLhShQz2F3bJYrH5YYkdg981dZTwCF-AMWgp0tjjOp9nrnvWzyq-cPD28A8ai0XX6LU-EFPweChQDwnPWKH7F1Ef24ytby1J8c29cPoMOZPR3k-7IDCRJULTY74H_uDSa7CJxlk3shfCSIOWO6h5kqk1KNjtlbAlk3DIwn1myNju33RH6LuxLl2hdtzAm7KkWm2Mcp51izHsAO5TbKTBQ_Q58PAuXpQrZ5HofSQ8Qc2qcyagiuKgfM72vzNNZIQvre7OEvl7WUAxGC_R0NqsJxWLc-tS241R9MnRh2hnXpgzL1m6ZeRujqj7I9WcNHgeFTewhCN7svilfhtTcTlRauV2EInEgXIgWXSUFhIvYPF2Y0dkwk0YWbsbU6mtyF-N9GkgKuIuzJxsC6OtAam9IdUPuqgwFZiz29OvFEJy5sXVAuXnG9hpXouGk8J8rKTuxe7_9Lo31Xl1D3u2yHw0bqQM8Xn2Hg1xgQ1Ri4BJzlKJgGHfIRVIfQq1vjZPWtx663k-HbvH=w2136-h1602-no

With SKY in AB+ Mode
KnvHLAcl1UVIkoIKf-rrizM96iIQqZKQeUV9Aq8kz2OdXPFrKx0fFoeeqq27mbp5Ge_sa7AZnZ5MlvU9rf5O4SYBPqF4ft3cnqGAb2GR03WSjPKFh1VJ2iHD5jPNMIpweVUEaBUxJ_Bl9SDNFbDifG4jUWxyS340JdYee1Y8ly_t4gBB5M7KZl6pHGx-IJxwJhWJPtgurLng42M6byoK8ZZbgLyArmY2WK6Ro_ANCT5SjsfrSF0ID7y0N2x0Qyggypeqz6lXE6d-vC39wnJJ5DVRWgihamQzJhM2YIrGbe4-V4Ulk-optZXmYwWslxYlKNc7mAlhonuIgQwDNBRUVXH2xEre2QLgGpSq5zqEpPD85bwcTWzFaw8PIh-Bq8adUysLQBF8ljt0h5nCYuMc_yVpN0SD1IdxLr6K5zvdNdwOXfCb5yE_qXtx9Nw_f_CIACrxLQPcd9tkifljidNmvEE0EbzF6SC1viHveGIYsuMpoRJIYuxyca07yRCXfpwcmhMbV_3HXmcMlC_yWPTQPxsFt3NeNtX4oFm30yDjg3evnuJLjihaS2gcuGepE5ijbruCoxvIMX8bcoJ3Mfhx2Zgwxcq-0Uhi1pweOKWJCBKB2YalueorEzE6pLd_K-ABHmXDi9YE5-RRP1nelPRs6PaGRVWOyqhZoIIWMHzhft3uHj_L9K7IvlXMBglSD01EH2f-GUe90yPVReVBmAA9TFd6=w2136-h1602-no

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this. I for one have gotten away from LED for my current tank but down the road if i upgrade or get rid of sps i might go back. I do like my Neptune gear and my Apex is great so it will be nice to see how these perform and what everybody has to say. I for one, really like the Phillips CC but have yet to see it in person. From what i gathered so far this light is very similar to that one.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One guy in the NSI testing team built a “lamp shade” that shielded the light from spilling into the room. I’m considering doing that for mine.

I’ll ask him for permission to repost his photo here.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for this. I for one have gotten away from LED for my current tank but down the road if i upgrade or get rid of sps i might go back. I do like my Neptune gear and my Apex is great so it will be nice to see how these perform and what everybody has to say. I for one, really like the Phillips CC but have yet to see it in person. From what i gathered so far this light is very similar to that one.
Thanks. Yep, it'll be interesting to see how things go over time.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One guy in the NSI testing team built a “lamp shade” that shielded the light from spilling into the room. I’m considering doing that for mine.
You know, I was thinking about designing one and 3D printing it, which may still happen. Just depends on how ambitious I get. haha!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was thinking about designing one and 3D printing it, which may still happen. Just depends on how ambitious I get. haha!
The NSI tester gave me permission to repost his mock-up of the lamp shade:

24AF40FD-E9BD-458C-A5E9-EA99A8004621.jpeg

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. I love the color, spread, etc and was considering an expensive switch to Sky. However your real-world pictures of the light spill are also a deal breaker for me and my rimless Red Sea Reefer. It seems like this might be a great light if you have a hood or in-wall tank.

Supposedly they designed this light to ‘beat the BRS test and it does that, but it looks like that is at the cost of spilling tons of light out the sides.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this!

I originally wanted one of these over my rimless tank, but definitely not with that much spillover!
It doesn’t even look like it’s a mounting height issue because the spillover is immediate.

If I had a canopy or in-wall though, this wouldn’t matter. The spread on one fixture does look pretty good. The claimed elimination of shadows is greatly exagerated, but it looks like it does help.

Do you notice any shimmer at all?
When selling it they try really hard to claim there’s shimmer, but in every video I’ve seen there is absolutely no shimmer at all.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be the height. I have mine mounted 8" above the water and get zero spill. You may ask why am I mounting it 8" above the water line is because I have a 30" tall tank :) I'm using a 80/20 rail system with the RMS mounts.

Another option would be to maybe consider a 1 degree pitch so the light is pushed into the display rather than out. Something small you wouldn't notice. There is a light kit out there, I forget which one, that does this.

Light spill will happen and isn't unique to this light. It could be more pronounced here due to the thickness, or lack there of, of the SKY. I'm not sure as it isn't something I noticed. My Kessil a360x though, those spilled unless I went closer to the water surface or added the lens - as a reference.

Edit: My apologies. I forgot to say nice information, display. Great job on your display.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wondering if @chemisfun11 might have some ideas for a custom 3D printed light shade for the new Neptune Sky?
I have a prototype I started to develop when my LFS had them briefly before Reefapalooza. I need to do some final test fitting once they are back in stock. Then I will be ready to offer them to the community.

@PeterC99

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for posting this!

I originally wanted one of these over my rimless tank, but definitely not with that much spillover!
It doesn’t even look like it’s a mounting height issue because the spillover is immediate.

If I had a canopy or in-wall though, this wouldn’t matter. The spread on one fixture does look pretty good. The claimed elimination of shadows is greatly exagerated, but it looks like it does help.

Do you notice any shimmer at all?
When selling it they try really hard to claim there’s shimmer, but in every video I’ve seen there is absolutely no shimmer at all.
I've noticed a very minimal amount of shimmer. Not much at all.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back