Initial Impressions on the Neptune Sky (Completely non-scientific!!)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a very minimal amount of shimmer. Not much at all.

It is there. It is very subtle though as I can see it on my sand bed which is 30" deep and the SKY's are mounted 8" above the water line.

After the change my wife passed by. Hey, I see you removed the swimming pool from your den...

Kessil is like scuba diving at high noon over a reef crest at 30'. Great lights for a reason. SKY does have shimmer but it is not as pronounced. It is soft and in unexpected places that you may not see before. Is it Kessil shimmer though? No and that question should be on the prospected buys pro/con check list.

Edit: to clarify I am not saying you are wrong :) I was trying to paint the picture that it is there just not loud and proud if that makes sense. Sorry if it read like I was saying you are wrong. Sorry!

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had minor light bleed issue with my Radions until I added 3D printed light shades
A5C3A1D6-F677-4AE2-8295-EE0FDFFE166B.jpeg
49F9DCD0-2E7A-4172-963B-C475A226F47C.jpeg
Who makes these? I have 2 xr15 on a rail setup and need these

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neptune sky has almost the exact same spectrum as a viparspectra black box. And the inside of the sky looks like a Philips coral care 1. There's no reason that light should cost so much. There are much better options out there.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It is there. It is very subtle though as I can see it on my sand bed which is 30" deep and the SKY's are mounted 8" above the water line.

After the change my wife passed by. Hey, I see you removed the swimming pool from your den...

Kessil is like scuba diving at high noon over a reef crest at 30'. Great lights for a reason. SKY does have shimmer but it is not as pronounced. It is soft and in unexpected places that you may not see before. Is it Kessil shimmer though? No and that question should be on the prospected buys pro/con check list.

Edit: to clarify I am not saying you are wrong :) I was trying to paint the picture that it is there just not loud and proud if that makes sense. Sorry if it read like I was saying you are wrong. Sorry!
No worries. I didn't take it that way at all. It's good to hear other's experiences too!

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for sharing the light looks pretty good . Was it worth the money for you?
Well, my "gut reaction" is not a chance. I have a smaller tank that I should be to light properly for much less (and it can be, I've done it several times in the past). My downfall is that I'm a gadget guy and like messing around with new gear. So I end up buying, and then moving along, a good amount of gear.

With all that being said, for me, it was worth it to see first hand how the light looks/works/etc. When I decide to move it on to a new home, I suspect I'll have little trouble finding someone who wants it, and I should be able to recoup most of my "expenses". What I don't recoup was the "cost for first hand info", and in this case, I can live with that.

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I for one have gotten away from LED for my current tank but down the road if i upgrade or get rid of sps i might go back. I do like my Neptune gear and my Apex is great so it will be nice to see how these perform and what everybody has to say. I for one, really like the Phillips CC but have yet to see it in person. From what i gathered so far this light is very similar to that one.
What lighting are you using since you've gotten away from LED

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a prototype I started to develop when my LFS had them briefly before Reefapalooza. I need to do some final test fitting once they are back in stock.

It would be very interesting to incorporate flaps with a reflective surface. Bring some of that light back into the tank with the ability to adjust depending on tank size/ fixture height.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be very interesting to incorporate flaps with a reflective surface. Bring some of that light back into the tank with the ability to adjust depending on tank size/ fixture height.
I have had only a few inquiries about incorporating reflectors inside my light spill shades. I haven't had enough interest to test it out. It certainly can be done.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my "gut reaction" is not a chance. I have a smaller tank that I should be to light properly for much less (and it can be, I've done it several times in the past). My downfall is that I'm a gadget guy and like messing around with new gear. So I end up buying, and then moving along, a good amount of gear.

With all that being said, for me, it was worth it to see first hand how the light looks/works/etc. When I decide to move it on to a new home, I suspect I'll have little trouble finding someone who wants it, and I should be able to recoup most of my "expenses". What I don't recoup was the "cost for first hand info", and in this case, I can live with that.
Thanks for the reply and it is always. Ice getting new gear and trying it out

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for the reply and it is always. Ice getting new gear and trying it out
Sure thing.

Also, I feel that I need to point out that my response was specifically for me and my environment. If I had a larger tank, that could take full advantage of the spread, then I would think that they fall in the "high side" as it relates to pricing, but a viable option. They're right there with Phillips CC and Ecotech Radions, and I think ATI Stratons are in the same ball park (incidentally, I feel the same way, "pricing wise" about those lights as I do the SKY).

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I'm the only one that thinks the Reffbreeders looks MUCH better? It looks like more even spread plus no spillover.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628279714176.png

Is there a major difference between the sky and a dimmable ATI T5 fixture (for half the money) in your opinion?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What lighting are you using since you've gotten away from LED
So i switched to a ATI t5 only fixture and saw how nice that was for about 3 months. Then i found a nice Giesemann MH/T5 unit. Im running one 250w MH for about 4 hours a day and then another 5 hours of T5 only. My tank is really starting to adjust nicely to it.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Seems like I'm the only one that thinks the Reffbreeders looks MUCH better? It looks like more even spread plus no spillover.

1628279714176.png

Is there a major difference between the sky and a dimmable ATI T5 fixture (for half the money) in your opinion?
I think so. First off, you have a lot of control with the SKY (modes, adjustments, etc.) that you don't have with T5's. Of course T5's are set, forget, and they just work. So I think it really depends on what you're looking for.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back