Initial salt mix in tank or bucket?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so this week sometime I will be doing my initial fill of my tank. I have a 10g brute for water storage and a few 5 gal buckets laying around. Would it be easier to mix my salt inside the tank or should I mix a 10g batch in the brute and a 5 gal batch in a bucket then put into the tank? If I mix in the tank I need to wait to add the live sand correct?

Tank is a Nuvo 20 that holds about 15-16 gallons of water.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing in the tank is fine when your just setting up your system, I typically let tank run a day or two afterwards to make sure everything is mixed good before adding sand and rock, just make sure you have lots of circulation.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the tank is only 15 gallons I would just mix in the brute and buckets. I’ve seen others mix right in the tank with sand inside so looks like this can be done. But mixing outside of tank just sounds easier.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it more depends how much time you want to spend on it. If you’re not going to be able to do the aquascapeing for a few days, mix in the tank. Otherwise mix in a bucket so you can get to work. ;Happy

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it more depends how much time you want to spend on it. If you’re not going to be able to do the aquascapeing for a few days, mix in the tank. Otherwise mix in a bucket so you can get to work. ;Happy
Scapes already done and welded together just has to be put in once tanks filled.

Thanks for all the quick replys! I’ll just go ahead and mix the salt in the tank so I only have to make sure 1 container is correct mix instead of two.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scapes already done and welded together just has to be put in once tanks filled.

Thanks for all the quick replys! I’ll just go ahead and mix the salt in the tank so I only have to make sure 1 container is correct mix instead of two.
Also, what kind of salt are you using? The time to mix will likely depend a lot on that. I dont think mixing in an empty glass box would be any different than mixing in an empty plastic bucket. Can’t wait to see the results!

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to mix it in tank for first fill, its easier. But two things to notice:
1. Its easier to setup and aquascape a dry tank, or few water in it.
2. If you fill your empty tank with water, by the time you add rocks and sand its going to be a too much water.
So, I would fill tank at 80%, mix salt in there and let a powerhead run few hours and then siphone to Brute container as much as I could. Work with sand and rocks, and then pour salt water in again. If I you have a leftover, then you have salt water for your first water change.
Post some pics of process!
And happy reefing!

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. If you fill your empty tank with water, by the time you add rocks and sand its going to be a too much water.
So, I would fill tank at 80%, mix salt in there and let a powerhead run few hours and then siphone to Brute container as much as I could. Work with sand and rocks, and then pour salt water in again. If I you have a leftover, then you have salt water for your first water change.
And happy reefing!

Didn’t think about the rock and sand displacement at all. I’ll probably fill tank 100% mix the salt and siphon out the extra and have some left over.

Also there is a build thread if you’d like to check it out. Just click on my build thread contributor badge near my name and it will take you there.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And happy reefing!
Now that’s a brilliant idea!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back