Initial tank fill questions/RODI station setup

meh180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still getting a few things together before I'm ready to setup my tank (Waterbox AIO 35.2).

Wondering about prepping water for the initial fill. I am getting an RODI unit which will be setup in the basement. Tank will be on the main floor. Since my tank is not very large I do not want to build an elaborate water mixing station.
Is there any need to have the full 35 gals of RODI water prepped in advance with the salt mixed before filling the tank, other than convivence? Or can I get away with just using a few 5 gal buckets (obviously this will take longer to get the tank filled). If I do the second option should I mix salt into the 5 gal buckets before adding to the tank, or just add to the tank once all of the water is in? Was going to use Instant Ocean reef crystals if that makes a difference on recommendations.

Thanks!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always premixed salt water in jugs/buckets, makes it easier to pour onto glass or rocks and not stir ups a sand storm. If the tanks was completely empty (no rocks or sand) you could mix it right in the tank. One thing to remember mix salt to water (water first then salt not visa-versa) Also remember to flush your RODI thoroughly before using it for RODI water.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back