Initiating scheduled water changes.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycled for three weeks now. At the end of the fishless cycle Nitrates were >75 (Hanna). Almost 100% water change and level has remained around 10 since then. Phosphates have always been 0.0 (Hanna ULR). All other parameters are WNL’s. The 150 gal tank has eight small fish. How do I decide when to start water changes? I am set up for automated daily changes whenever I decide to start. Thanks in advance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycled for three weeks now. At the end of the fishless cycle Nitrates were >75 (Hanna). Almost 100% water change and level has remained around 10 since then. Phosphates have always been 0.0 (Hanna ULR). All other parameters are WNL’s. The 150 gal tank has eight small fish. How do I decide when to start water changes? I am set up for automated daily changes whenever I decide to start. Thanks in advance.
Fish only for life, or will you want sps down the road? Coral will want some Phosphorus & nitrate, fish only is more forgiving. All that said, a gallon or two a day to start and see how it goes for nutrients. HTH

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only for life, or will you want sps down the road? Coral will want some Phosphorus & nitrate, fish only is more forgiving. All that said, a gallon or two a day to start and see how it goes for nutrients. HTH
Planning on coral after tank experiences likely inevitable algae blooms. Curious as to why I would start water changes if I have 0.0 phosphates and am wanting 0.03 or so?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on coral after tank experiences likely inevitable algae blooms. Curious as to why I would start water changes if I have 0.0 phosphates and am wanting 0.03 or so?
You will need to feed the fish more to get phosphates up. The water changes don't need to start unless your nitrates start getting high, or phosphates. A healthly reef can consume both but that takes coral, not fish ime. Also, keeping nutrients low to start can help minimze the uglies from being the ugliest uglies.

I was also presuming you were planning on continual water changes as part of your normal operations. Starting them now will allow you to watch nutrient cycles and balances with those changes as part of the normal flow. Hope that clarifies my suggestion. Cool you are going slow and steady with additions and planning! ++++

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to feed the fish more to get phosphates up. The water changes don't need to start unless your nitrates start getting high, or phosphates. A healthly reef can consume both but that takes coral, not fish ime. Also, keeping nutrients low to start can help minimze the uglies from being the ugliest uglies.

I was also presuming you were planning on continual water changes as part of your normal operations. Starting them now will allow you to watch nutrient cycles and balances with those changes as part of the normal flow. Hope that clarifies my suggestion. Cool you are going slow and steady with additions and planning! ++++

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m planning on starting a fuge as soon as phosphates reach .03-.05. As far as water changes it’s still a little confusing. In the first paragraph you said they weren’t necessary until nutrients rose, however later you suggested it would be good to get started on a stable routine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back