OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I "fixed" the chip in the sump with silicone and yes it does not look great but it is in the sump towards the back under the reservoir. :)

Also added the new skimmer (Regal 250 INT Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus) fits perfect with the ability to use the front of the sump as large refuge. (Baffle dividing the sump is in the slot towards the back of sump.)
Skimmer.jpeg

Was able to add one WAV pump. Going to place in back and have pump bounce off side and then front of glass. This keeps the pump out of view. We'll see how it works as I get to running them with the rock work.
Left WAV Pump.jpeg

Lastly, here is a pic of my "Control Area" might adjust some of it near end of build but it's coming along fine. Behind the "Curtain" is an organized mess of wires to be tidied up.
Control Room.jpeg
I have the 4 plugs for the lights plugged into another outlet until I know I have enough plugs left, which I think I will have. The last plug is for the heater. I'll have a back up heater (Not plugged in) but am not worried about it because the heater and my central air would have to go off at the same time for there to be any problems. ;Wacky

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
=So you are happy with the apex WAV's? Was looking online and was going to go with the WAV's or MP40's but have heard of problems with both. But, I guess that is expected. Thanks for the advice and incite.

Sorry, my following skills are declining.

The wave pumps have a few advantages over the Mp40s.
1. You can direct flow a little with the angled base feature.
2. You can detach them from the magnetic mount and you've got a powerful handheld "fan" to blow off detritus from the rocks. This came in very handy when my tank was young and ugly.
3. For cleaning I use a 5 gal. bucket with vinegar. Just set the bucket next to the tank, lift the pump out of the tank (it shuts off when it hits air) and drop it in the bucket. Come back 2 hours later to a clean pump. Rinse in a bucket of RO/DI and place it back in the tank. Too easy.
4. They are rock solid on the back wall of the tank. I've had a MP40 release from it's magnetic coupling mount twice. Luckily the cord was secured properly so the motor didn't crash onto the floor.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these tanks look great

I’m glad to see someone has the deluxe and likes the lights. I’ve been torn between just the tank and the deluxe for awhile. Sadly, my LFS still hasn’t been able to figure out when they can get me one and it’s been 5 weeks.

I was thinking about ordering myself...Then I read your post on moving it. 500+lb and 5 guys...I think I’ll wait for the LFS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my following skills are declining.

The wave pumps have a few advantages over the Mp40s.
1. You can direct flow a little with the angled base feature.
2. You can detach them from the magnetic mount and you've got a powerful handheld "fan" to blow off detritus from the rocks. This came in very handy when my tank was young and ugly.
3. For cleaning I use a 5 gal. bucket with vinegar. Just set the bucket next to the tank, lift the pump out of the tank (it shuts off when it hits air) and drop it in the bucket. Come back 2 hours later to a clean pump. Rinse in a bucket of RO/DI and place it back in the tank. Too easy.
4. They are rock solid on the back wall of the tank. I've had a MP40 release from it's magnetic coupling mount twice. Luckily the cord was secured properly so the motor didn't crash onto the floor.

Thanks Pongo,
I went with the Wav pumps and they seem to work great so far.
Thanks for the advice on cleaning them.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these tanks look great

I’m glad to see someone has the deluxe and likes the lights. I’ve been torn between just the tank and the deluxe for awhile. Sadly, my LFS still hasn’t been able to figure out when they can get me one and it’s been 5 weeks.

I was thinking about ordering myself...Then I read your post on moving it. 500+lb and 5 guys...I think I’ll wait for the LFS

Hi *****sReef,
I did use 5 guys and we had to use wood planks to move it up my 5 steps to the front door. Was to heavy to just pick up and move without aid.
I have since found out that if you get 2 sets of glass suction cups and a dolly you can move it with 4 people.
It takes a little work but it's worth it after its moved. Good Luck
PS: If I had to do it again I'd pay people to move it ($600 around here)...was so worried we would break it and a mover would be insured.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized you are in Windsor.

I hope you and family stayed safe during the horrific fires.

Thank you.
Yes, we stayed safe and made it through unscathed. Santa Rosa does look like a a disaster. Whole neighborhoods completely leveled. But we are all pulling together and helping each other.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi *****sReef,
I did use 5 guys and we had to use wood planks to move it up my 5 steps to the front door. Was to heavy to just pick up and move without aid.
I have since found out that if you get 2 sets of glass suction cups and a dolly you can move it with 4 people.
It takes a little work but it's worth it after its moved. Good Luck
PS: If I had to do it again I'd pay people to move it ($600 around here)...was so worried we would break it and a mover would be insured.

Seems to the the general concensus. I’m extremely impatient but I’ll wait it out for the LFS to get it in and deliver it so I can be worry free.

Have you scaped your tank yet?

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to the the general concensus. I’m extremely impatient but I’ll wait it out for the LFS to get it in and deliver it so I can be worry free.

Have you scaped your tank yet?
Not yet, waiting for marco rocks to get some pedestals in before I order. They were hit hard by Irma.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rockscape done tonight but not sure how i feel about it yet (Went with Marco Rocks). The rock at the top right either has to go or become a smaller rock. It looked great in the garage but after moving it to the tank, it's ok.
I guess I'll see what it looks like with the 1" sand bed. I might like it more after i adjust that ONE rock too. Let me know what you think. Criticism and advice is welcome.
tank rock.JPG

tank rock 3.JPG

tank rock 2.JPG

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree with the top right rock, I would just remove it.

I dig the arches and rocks on the sand bed for extra space. Maybe trying breaking up some of the rocks? They seem very large to me.

How many LBs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree with the top right rock, I would just remove it.

I dig the arches and rocks on the sand bed for extra space. Maybe trying breaking up some of the rocks? They seem very large to me.

How many LBs?

I did remove that problem rock and will post a pic next week after the sand is in.
The 1" sand bed will make the rocks seem a bit smaller and should bring them into proportion with the arches.
There is only 100 lbs of rock in the tank I did not use the other 50 lbs. Also, after seeing the pedestal rock I did not like the look of it in the tank so it was not used.
I have 3 8x8x1 plates of marinepure and 1 8x8x4 in the sump so rock is not a problem for filtration.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed.

I have a reefer 450 and 170, great tanks although the 750 looks awesome.

Great start and luv that anticipation of getting past the aquascape stage and filling with sAltwater.

You going to cycle naturally or use something like dr timms ?

Paul

JimmyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here... I am about 4 weeks into setting up my 750 as well. I had the same issue with the ATO resevoir and chipped my sump as well. The ATO is the only thing I do not like about the reefer too small and don’t like the float valve.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed.

I have a reefer 450 and 170, great tanks although the 750 looks awesome.

Great start and luv that anticipation of getting past the aquascape stage and filling with sAltwater.

You going to cycle naturally or use something like dr timms ?

Paul
Going to go with Dr Tim's on the cycle.
Sand comes this week with Dr Tims, so should have a few fish in next week to help cycle.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here... I am about 4 weeks into setting up my 750 as well. I had the same issue with the ATO resevoir and chipped my sump as well. The ATO is the only thing I do not like about the reefer too small and don’t like the float valve.

I hear you. I'm using the ATO reservoir and the supplied float valve for now and so far no problems. I do have the ATK from Apex just in case I decide to switch over or the float fails.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back