Injured lionfish?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my radiata lionfish for over a year now and he’s always been healthy. Recently I introduced a reef lobster to the tank and the lionfish was attacked and suffered some injuries (missing rays, scrapes on body). I removed the lobster, and recently added a sargassum angler. The lionfish looks as if he’s become injured again. I don’t see how the angler could hurt him, so I’m thinking his wounds from the lobster could have become infected? He has whitish scrapes on his body which seem to have gotten worse, torn fins, and white spots/patches on his eyes. It doesn’t look like ich to me but maybe I’m wrong. He’s behaving and eating normally. Does anyone have a clue as to what’s going on with him or suggestions on how to help him? Thanks

Water parameters
pH: 8.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 360
KH: 143 (8 dkh)
Phosphate: 0.05
ACF510E0-0925-40D4-8F9C-3A3112C4A746.jpeg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a mild infection. Redness, growing filmy white areas, spots of necrosis would indicate a need for stronger antibiotics. For mild infections, Ruby Reef Rally in a 60-90 minute bath works really well.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave him 2 doses of kanaplex + focus in his food so far, would that be ok with the ruby reef rally?

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quarantine angler? Before adding it to the tank? Can't see the picture well but might be velvet. And it kills pretty fast . I would get him in a quarantine tank. Get better pictures spots and skin rot sounds like it to me. Watch YouTube on marine velvet. Any new fish should always be quarantined 30 days before adding to main tank. Fish cost to much to take any chances.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I quarantined the angler. I didn’t treat him for anything, he was in qt for a month and I didn’t see any signs of disease. I’ve had fish with velvet before and this doesn’t really look like that... the only thing that looks similar to velvet is the spots on his eyes. The white areas on his body really look like scrapes. And he’s had these “wounds” since the lobster incident which was over a month ago at this point, really has me thinking it’s not velvet because he’d be dead by now?

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quarantine him try melafix by api , start with a bath out of tank in a tote with iodine not a whole lot maybe a cap size watch out for the fins poison stingers man. Then after the bath maybe 5 min put in the quarantine tank with Mel treatment

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quarantine him try melafix by api , start with a bath out of tank in a tote with iodine not a whole lot maybe a cap size watch out for the fins poison stingers man. Then after the bath maybe 5 min put in the quarantine tank with Mel treatment
Good luck hope things go well

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the kanaplex doesn’t help I’ll try that, I’ll also get a better pic when he’s done hiding. I did some melafix in the DT after he got hurt by the lobster. Thank you

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish doesn’t seem to be getting worse, but not better either. I finished the 3 doses of kanaplex today. I’m really thinking it’s a bacterial infection because the fish was injured, and if it was velvet he would almost definitely be dead by now. Still acting and eating normally so I’m hesitant to QT him, I don’t want to give him too much meds and make stuff worse. I’ve had bad experiences medicating lions in the past. I got some better pics.

CED6648E-412C-4549-A732-3EED23BAAB31.jpeg
DF6DCC8A-BAB9-4E7D-8933-1EC8B438A5E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His color is a little bit washed out too.

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is eating that's good. Is there any vets in your area that can sell you antibiotic that you could add to the food? Call around

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using kanaplex in his food, from what I’ve read that sounds good for bacterial infection s. I gave him the maximum dose of that. I’ll call the vet though to see what they say, that’s a good idea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back