Injured Urchin- any thoughts on care?

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

2 days ago I brought home this urchin from one of my LFS. They had many many urchin skeletons in tanks, and I saw a few half dead urchins being picked on by crabs, etc. I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving this guy there to die, so I brought him home. He has some injuries, especially near his mouth, but a few on his sides as well. They are dark brown almost scabbed looking areas with no spines. He is active, moving around, eating nori, etc. His feelers are out and look good.

Thoughts on any additional care I can provide for him short of good husbandry? I know these injuries may be too much, but I felt like he deserved a chance to be nursed back to health.
20210905_153047.jpg
20210905_151719.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much good as you intended, all you did was encourage that store to kill more urchins. Usually an injury to the skeleton is a death sentence for an urchin. Hopefully yours survives.

OP
OP
Amandakayphoto

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much good as you intended, all you did was encourage that store to kill more urchins. Usually an injury to the skeleton is a death sentence for an urchin. Hopefully yours survives.
Hopefully not. I actually confronted them about it and they gave him to me, so they didn't make any money off him...

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as he's moving and eating, it has a good chance of surviving. Keep your tanks params stable and it should do fine. Good on you for the rescue!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back