Injury or disease?

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left out of town for the weekend and came home to this one of the three Anthias in QT. Disease or injury and what should I do? They've been in QT 3 weeks tomorrow.
588ded2c8ccc659edaf9e9ce6c50d11c.jpg

6616ad7f820c80222d00f1e5dabf461d.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no definitive ID is available without microscopic exam I would be begin treatment with an antibiotic.

Might as well since the fish are already in QT.

Not sure what the current popular antibiotic is, but I would start with some Metronidazole or Melafix, perhaps Furan2.

Hopefully Humblefish will be along to offer his expertise.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it treats septicemia and other bacterial infections.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/KanaPlex.html

I have never used it, never treated Anthias. I would be tempted to try it though after you do further research.

The fish had no visual wounds when you placed in QT? Seems really odd, not a battle wound, it could have been something relatively benign and a secondary bacterial infection set in.

The thread is in the right section so hopefully you'll get more feed back.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wounds 3 weeks ago going in. No wounds Thursday night when I left. The largest has chased the smallest before (injured is the medium of the three), so I'm wondering if he didn't get hold of this one.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a wound to me, but since infection can occur it would be prudent to begin antibiotic treatment immediately. Kanaplex will work fine. There is an outside change this could be Uronema marinum... do you have any Metroplex on hand as well?

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a wound to me, but since infection can occur it would be prudent to begin antibiotic treatment immediately. Kanaplex will work fine. There is an outside change this could be Uronema marinum... do you have any Metroplex on hand as well?
I don't, but if I can find it locally I'll pick it up in the morning. I started Kanaplex tonight.
Anything I should specifically look for? If a wound, it should heal fairly quickly, correct?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, but if I can find it locally I'll pick it up in the morning. I started Kanaplex tonight.
Anything I should specifically look for? If a wound, it should heal fairly quickly, correct?

A wound will heal fairly quickly (thanks to the SW), but if it gets infected that's another matter altogether. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish. But you are using Kanaplex aka kanamycin, and that tends to work faster because it is readily absorbed by a fish's skin. If you find Metro, go ahead and start using it in conjunction with Kanaplex. You can also safely mix Furan-2 (a different antibiotic) with both of those.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wound will heal fairly quickly (thanks to the SW), but if it gets infected that's another matter altogether. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish. But you are using Kanaplex aka kanamycin, and that tends to work faster because it is readily absorbed by a fish's skin. If you find Metro, go ahead and start using it in conjunction with Kanaplex. You can also safely mix Furan-2 (a different antibiotic) with both of those.

Awesome, thank you! I have a total of 3 in QT and was reading a thread you commented on saying antibiotics can suppress their appetite.. With no way to remove the other 2, is less more or will using all 3 be preferred?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you! I have a total of 3 in QT and was reading a thread you commented on saying antibiotics can suppress their appetite.. With no way to remove the other 2, is less more or will using all 3 be preferred?

Using all 3 (Furan-2 + Kanaplex + Metroplex) is optimal, as that achieves the widest spectrum of treatment. Appetite suppression is a possible side effect of all three. I also would increase gas exchange by pointing a small powerhead towards the surface of the water in QT.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find Metroplex, but I added Furan-2 this morning. Tons of surface agitation. They ate like hogs this morning so I'm hoping that will continue. I saw the male go after her just before breakfast, so I'm pretty confident that it's a bullying wound. Added some more PVC pieces for hiding spots... Is there anything else I can/should do?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find Metroplex, but I added Furan-2 this morning. Tons of surface agitation. They ate like hogs this morning so I'm hoping that will continue. I saw the male go after her just before breakfast, so I'm pretty confident that it's a bullying wound. Added some more PVC pieces for hiding spots... Is there anything else I can/should do?

You could use a tank divider if the aggression gets too intense. The presence of the antibiotics should prevent any infection and the wound should heal faster. Unless she keeps getting picked on in that spot. :confused:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good. But finish out at least one course of antibiotics (4 doses) just to err on the side of caution. Just like with humans, you don't want to stop antibiotic treatment prematurely just because you're feeling better. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two year old just watched this and dubbed them "cute". It looks a lot better! Great job

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back