Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1615671778880.png

Injury or infection?
This Twin Spot goby been in my Reefer 250 for about 2 months. This redness around his eye showed up 3 days ago, he has continued to eat mostly as normal. The other eye is normal. Tankmates are Royal Gramma, tiny Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby, and a Tail Spot Blenny. I haven't seen any aggression since arrival. Other fish are acting normal as well and show no signs of infection.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see much of the injury/red spot in the picture, but from a distance it looks like a frog with those two spots, lol. If he is acting normally and eating normally, I'd just watch him closely for now.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see much of the injury/red spot in the picture, but from a distance it looks like a frog with those two spots, lol. If he is acting normally and eating normally, I'd just watch him closely for now.
I can't see it either!! lol crazy illusion.

OP
OP
Falcon 6

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly me, I forgot to specify that the injury area is his right eye. You can see that it's red in the photo. This little guy was not keen to sit still for me to get any closer!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the toby could have pecked at it? Is the goby feeding for you o.k.?, they can be difficult to feed properly and it looks a bit thin to me.

Jay

OP
OP
Falcon 6

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the toby could have pecked at it? Is the goby feeding for you o.k.?, they can be difficult to feed properly and it looks a bit thin to me.

Jay
I’ve never even seen the Toby notice the goby. The Toby is small as well, probably a little shorter than the goby.

Goby sifts a lot of sand, and I seed the sand 2x a week with 2 spoons of reef chili. Plus I’ve got a full refugium of macro algae in the sump. I’ve also gotten him to grab a few live brine when I feed that on occasion, and grab a few pellets by accident when he’s sifting. But, I do worry about his food intake.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving it a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics would be what I would do - if it were another species. With these guys, they need the food from the refugium, etc. and just isn't going to handle moving to a QT like that. I guess all I can suggest then is bulk it up with food as best you can and seen if it can fight it off on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
Falcon 6

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving it a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics would be what I would do - if it were another species. With these guys, they need the food from the refugium, etc. and just isn't going to handle moving to a QT like that. I guess all I can suggest then is bulk it up with food as best you can and seen if it can fight it off on its own.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I felt the same way. Wanted to medicate, but thought he would starve in a QT. He’s been fighting it for a few days, so there’s hope.
I noticed you answer so many of these posts in the disease forum. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and respond! Have a great weekend!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back